We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saturday morning visit - just an hour or two

London
Level Contributor
216 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Saturday morning visit - just an hour or two

We are staying overnight in Colmar en route to Tuscany on Friday 30th May. Unfortunately it can only be a flying visit (this time) so we will arrive at approximately 7pm and have to be on our way mid-morning the next day. We will probably stay at the Best Western Grand Hôtel Bristol or Mercure Colmar Champ de Mars.

We are travelling with our 8 month old so we can't really take advantage of an evening out but hoped to at least take a walk round the Old Town before we have to get on our way. At what time do things start to open on a Saturday morning (shops, cafes etc.)? I've read that the little train gives a quick overview of the town - from what time does it run? We could possibly take a walk on the Friday evening (with the baby in a sling) - would we see more/get more of a feel for the town this way?

I'm sure we will return and explore properly - this will just have to be a taster. Many thanks

Alsace, France
Level Contributor
3,737 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saturday morning visit - just an hour or two

I'm sorry that you won't have a lot of time available, but quite understand that you want to maximise what you do have! You should be able to enjoy a stroll in the old town in the evening and this will really give you a good overview. You are well-placed at the Bristol or the Mercure Champs de Mars.

Shops and cafés really don't start before 9 or even 9H30, but there should be a nice café open on the Avenue de la République around 9. You will certainly be able to pop into the Cathedral early on, The little white train runs from 9 am and starts from opposite the Monoprix department store and the side of the public library. The little green one starts in the corner of the Monoprix department store opposite the Unterlinden museum at 9 am too.

I would certainly think that an evening stroll will give you a start, especially if the weather is clement, and you can always return the next morning to see things in a different light (if you'll pardon the pun!) and when there are fewer people around. (Personally I'd do both!)

London
Level Contributor
216 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saturday morning visit - just an hour or two

Fantastic - many thanks Alsacienne.

Is there anywhere you would recommend that would likely be open where we could buy a bottle or so of local wine (particularly Pinot Gris)?

3. Re: Saturday morning visit - just an hour or two

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Colmar