We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Strasbourg or Heidelberg? Only one day.....

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Strasbourg or Heidelberg? Only one day.....

We have only one day to visit Strasbourg or Heidelberg. Which should we visit?

Palm Beach Gardens...
Level Contributor
1,336 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Strasbourg or Heidelberg? Only one day.....

I loved Strasbourg...have not been to Heidelberg. What time of year will you be going?

Edited: 12 October 2011, 03:41
Austin, TX
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Strasbourg or Heidelberg? Only one day.....

Next week - this is a last minute trip!

Alsace, France
Level Contributor
3,678 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Strasbourg or Heidelberg? Only one day.....

Strasbourg. I've visited Heidelberg. Very charming but I think there's more to see and do in Strasbourg, but then I'm biased because I live in Alsace. Did you ask this question on the Heidelberg forum?

Level Contributor
7 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Strasbourg or Heidelberg? Only one day.....

I have been to both, and they are very different ,so not a direct comparison ,for old world charm of a university town in a beautifull river setting ,then it is Heidelburg ,Strasbourg is a big city with a historic centre well worth the trip ,but as i said they are different.

Larnaka City, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Larnaka District, Larnaka City
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Strasbourg or Heidelberg? Only one day.....

Beautiful cathedral or a wonderful castle?

Both are lovely as they have charming centres, and a nice ambience. We have visited both on day trips and enjoyed much our visits. It was during summertime though, not sure about sighseeing during October, so I would suggest checking about indoor activities ie museums offered in each city.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,420 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Strasbourg or Heidelberg? Only one day.....

my last visit to Heidelberg was very long ago and it was charming in springtime but Strasbourg would be my choice. It is a perfect day destination -- the walk in the old town, the Cathedral, the boat trip that goes both through old town and out to the EU headquarters -- and then a great alsatian meal -- all easily done in a day.

the Cathedral is quite something.

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Strasbourg or Heidelberg? Only one day.....

Update - We ended up in Strasbourg. It was a lovely day and we throughly enjoyed our visit. Thanks to everyone for their input.

The food was terrific - try the local specialty Tarte Flambee. The Musee Alsacien was a wonderful museum with a historical perspective of life in Alsace. What could have been a dry tutorial turned out to be one of the highlights of our visit.

The Cour Du Corbeau hotel was perfect - location, room, service, charm. Stay here!

Next trip - Heidelberg!

Alsace, France
Level Contributor
3,678 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Strasbourg or Heidelberg? Only one day.....

Thanks very much for your feedback - and it's great to learn that you had a good time here in Alsace. I love the Alsacian museum ... it makes the region and culture come alive .. and only one short hop from the boat tour and the Cathedral.

9. Re: Strasbourg or Heidelberg? Only one day.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 04:15