We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Border Crossing (Immigration) at Strasbourg

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
36 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Border Crossing (Immigration) at Strasbourg

We will be driving, and need to cross from Germany into Strasbourg on a Friday in July. Then, return to Germany on that following Sunday.

Can anyone tell me what to expect in crossing the border ?

Like, how much time should we allot for crossing--both coming and going? And do we need extra documentation for entering France?

Thanks for so much help from this forum!

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Border Crossing (Immigration) at Strasbourg

< Can anyone tell me what to expect in crossing the border ? >

I think you may see a sign telling you that you are entering France.

< how much time should we allot for crossing--both coming and going? >

Allow the time it will take you to cross the line of the border at the speed you are driving.

< do we need extra documentation for entering France? >

No.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,961 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Border Crossing (Immigration) at Strasbourg

You can't even go ask for a stamp in your passport -- they don't have them at the borders any more.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,672 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Border Crossing (Immigration) at Strasbourg

There will be a sign saying France, usually followed by another sign to remind you of the speed limits on French roads. There are normally no border controls anywhere in the Schengen area, although they do occasionally make spot customs checks.

Note that there is some equipment you are supposed to have in your car when driving in France that might not apply in Germany. The AA web site in the uk is usually accurate:

theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/countryby…

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Border Crossing (Immigration) at Strasbourg

< I think you may see a sign telling you that you are entering France. >

I was wrong. There is no sign - at least not at this border crossing between Kehl in Germany and Strasbourg on the Pont de l'Europe (Europe bridge).

Border between Germany and France runs along the centre of the River Rhine here http://g.co/maps/7bx5e

View is towards Germany. The boy wearing a white shirt is about to run from Germany into France.

Swivel the picture round and you are looking towards Strasbourg http://g.co/maps/a9n7h

Alsace, France
Level Contributor
3,943 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Border Crossing (Immigration) at Strasbourg

Nothing obvious. Perhaps some old customs buildings, but I think that at this crossing they've been demolished or put to other use.

You can be stopped and checked over by the police at any time when driving in France, not just at borders.

You won't need any special documentation - I presume if it's a hire car you'll be driving, you'll have some documentation provided by the company to say it's their car. And you won't have to allow a lot of extra time, HOWEVER, at present there is slow traffic at the Kehl crossing point because of volume of traffic (normal) and road works (not normal)!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
36 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Border Crossing (Immigration) at Strasbourg

Thanks all...Excellent info..

(yes, it's annoying not to get that stamp in the passport anymore!)

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
36 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Border Crossing (Immigration) at Strasbourg

PS: very cool 360 view from the bridge!

8. Re: Border Crossing (Immigration) at Strasbourg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2013, 19:56