We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Basel to Strasbourg - driving

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
236 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Basel to Strasbourg - driving

Hi All,

Just wondering which would be the most interesting/scenic route to drive from Basel to Strasbourg. I've posted in the Basel forum but I guess it's probably more relevant here.

Here are our 2 thoughts:

1. Basel - Mullhouse - Colmar - Selestat - Strasbourg

2. Following next to the Rhine River the whole way with a detour to see Colmar

We aren't big on wines so we don't really need to see any wineries. We are more into quaintish towns with interesting scenery and unusual things to see. We were wanting to do the drive in one day.

Thanks heaps in advance for any advice.

D&J

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
6,882 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Basel to Strasbourg - driving

Have a look at www.viamichelin.com. You can select the type of route. A road highlighted in green indicates a scenic route. The Rhine river on this section is anything but scenic. Even if you aren't big on wines, the wine routes go through very pretty villages. An alternative would be to go through the German Black Forest which is stunningly beautiful.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
236 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Basel to Strasbourg - driving

Thanks tradeform. I had a look on google maps and it didn't look too scenic along the Rhine River. We thought about the Black Forest route but might save that for another trip.

I think we may go along the wine routes for the pretty villages. Thanks for the tip about the viamichelin maps.

Alsace, France
Level Contributor
3,851 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Basel to Strasbourg - driving

I drive the route from Basel to Strasbourg regularly both sides of the Rhine. They both feel a bit different but I think that I'd like to share my thoughts with you.

You are basically using motorways. I find that the German side seems to be much faster in terms of speed required, and the stretch from Freiburg to Strasbourg seems interminable with not as much to see as its equivalent on the other (French) side. (SORRY to all our German readers!)

My PERSONAL suggestion would be to take the French side - the A35 - and leave the motorway just north of Colmar following the exits for BENNWIHR, HOUSSEN and the ZONE COMMERCIAL. From there, drive west towards KAYSERSBERG going through the commercial zone. You will come to a big roundabout, where the Route du Vin (wine road RN83) crosses the road. Either continue straight on west and enjoy Sigolsheim, Kientzheim and Kaysersberg and then come back to the roundabout or turn NORTHWARDS on the Route du Vin, heading through BENNWIHR, MITTELWIHR, RIQUEWIHR (stop for a visit?), HUNAWIHR (lovely church) and RIBEAUVILLE (stop for a visit?) then head again north on the N83 to BERGHEIM (definitely worth parking at the top of the town and wandering through this lovely non-touristy fortified town) before heading back to the A35 and heading north to Strasbourg. Colmar is worth a visit in itself ... perhaps stop over for a night (or two) or take the train down from Strasbourg (frequent and cheap service, only 30 mins and no parking worries!).

WHOOPS! Just read your post again .... Drive A35 to COLMAR, spend a night or two, then head on the N83 (driving out in the direction of Wintzenheim from Colmar, stopping off for a hot chocolate and home made choc at my favourite Chocolaterie (Grimmers) before heading out along the route du Vin and following the route I suggested (Wintzenheim crossroads, N83 Colmar ring road, turn off for AMMERSCHWIHR and KAYSERSBERG and then either visit KAYSERSBERG and return via KIENTZHEIM AND SIGOLSHEIM and continue as before, or if wanting to head straight north, take the roundabout for Bennwihr/Mittelwihr/Ribeauvillé/Riquewihr just after Ingersheim and head straight up the N83.

www.viamichelin.fr is your best friend!!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
236 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Basel to Strasbourg - driving

Thanks heaps Alsacienne for sharing your valuable thoughts.

Unfortunately we haven't the opportunity to stay in Colmar but we will definitely follow the route you have suggested. When we stop at Grimmers for a hot chocolate we shall think of you :).

Thank you again for the effort in your input - much appreciated.

D&J

Alsace, France
Level Contributor
3,851 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Basel to Strasbourg - driving

Whooops!! Please recheck the road numbers. It's the N83 - Colmar ring road - N415 to Ammerschwihr and Kaysersberg and the D1 from the roundabout on the N415 just outside Ingersheim to Bennwihr and the Route du Vin. My apologies for messing up!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
236 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Basel to Strasbourg - driving

No problems Alsacienne - thanks for your help - most appreciated.

7. Re: Basel to Strasbourg - driving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 December 2014, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Strasbourg
Recent Conversations