We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chateau Bed & Breakfast, Chambre de hote near St. Emilion or

STUART, FL
Level Contributor
282 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Chateau Bed & Breakfast, Chambre de hote near St. Emilion or

We are looking for a Chateau or manor home bed & breakfast type lodging for late June. We want t the whole package: beautiful house , lovley comfortable rooms, nice grounds to sit and relax and take in the vinyard views, perhaps a pool, an area to walk or jog, near good food and wine, near St. Emilion, Fronsac or Entre du Mer areas. The well known ones are already booked. I have found several with availability, but can't seem to find any info other than what is on their own web sites (which scares me - I have been burned before by beleiving what I see). Has anyone heard of Chateau St.Jacques Calon, Chateau le Baudou, Chateau Monlot Capet, Chateau Carboneau or Belles- Graves? Any reviews or decription would ne much appreciated!

Bordeaux, France
Destination Expert
for Bordeaux
Level Contributor
1,311 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chateau Bed & Breakfast, Chambre de hote near St. Emilion or

Take a look at WineVillas:

<http://www.winevillas.com/bordeaux-villa.html>

(Full disclosure: you'll see me on their web site--I occasionally work for them when one of their clients requests an itinerary of château visits, which is not a mandatory part of renting the villa.)

London
Level Contributor
290 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chateau Bed & Breakfast, Chambre de hote near St. Emilion or

Bordeaux Wine/travel writer Jane Anson recommends Belles Graves on my guides writing:

"The price of the room includes a visit of the cellar and a tasting of the wine, and although the rooms are simply (and a bit sparsely) furnished, the property itself is lovely, and there are very comfortable communal areas. Best of all is the welcome, as owner Xavier Piton likes cooking and travelling, and once studied literature, making him pretty much the perfect host." Interpreting that means that if you want really smart, plush rooms with all the trimmings, it isn't going to be here - but sounds good anyway, depends what you really want.

Jane also recommends Carbonneau writing:

"A super friendly Bernese mountain dog greets you as you arrive at this chambres d’hôtes. The rooms are well decorated, in a classic French style."

Hope this helps.

orinda, california
Level Contributor
52 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chateau Bed & Breakfast, Chambre de hote near St. Emilion or

Hi Stuart,

A friend and I are looking for the same thing in September. My friend found this article on exactly this topic:

wine-pages.com/guests/contrib/ph-chateaux.htm

I'd be interested in hearing what you decide and getting your review when you return.

Bon voyage!

Jan

STUART, FL
Level Contributor
282 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chateau Bed & Breakfast, Chambre de hote near St. Emilion or

Yes, I had read those pages, good info. I am just so confused. One place has beautiful rooms, all the amenities, but I can't seem to find out about the views or grounds. Another places has great views, beautiful grounds, but the rooms don't look so hot have small beds and no AC or pool in case it is hot. One place looks good but maybe too far southeast. We are coming from 2 nights in Sarlat then heading towards St. Jean de Luz, so we did not want to end up so close to Sarlat. The Entre Deux Mer area looks beautiful and less touristy than St. Emilion, but St. E looks beautiful also and I know we would at least visit that area.

Chateau Naujan, Chateau Soussac(maybe too far SE), Clos Bertrinat(SP?)Manor Gaboria also all look interesting. Any reviews on these, or Entre Deux versus St. E area?

STUART, FL
Level Contributor
282 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chateau Bed & Breakfast, Chambre de hote near St. Emilion or

I just came across the website for Chateau Pitray, 9KM from St. Emilion, near the town of Castillon La Bataille and it looks really lovely on the site. Does ANYONE have any knowledge or feedback on this place? It looks like a fairy tale castle surrounded by parks. The rooms look decent size and it has a pool. Any help would be appreciated; I am desperate to book something!

London
Level Contributor
290 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chateau Bed & Breakfast, Chambre de hote near St. Emilion or

Yes, Jane Anson also recommends Ch de Pitray on my Guides - she states the château is 12km from St Emilion, but that's just splitting hairs. The price does not indicate luxury, but I would imagine the rooms should be comfortable. Jane writes: "The red ivy on the side of this tall, elegant Harry Potter of a château is unforgettable. Pitray has been owned by the same family for the last 600 years, and a tour of the wine estate is offered to all guests."

Personally, I remember tasting the wine several times some years back and it was always very reliable.

Good luck with booking somewhere.

STUART, FL
Level Contributor
282 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chateau Bed & Breakfast, Chambre de hote near St. Emilion or

Thank you very much!

Billings, Montana
Level Contributor
177 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chateau Bed & Breakfast, Chambre de hote near St. Emilion or

There was a great B&B caled La Tuilerie near Noaillac (south of Bordeaux, but near Entre Deux Mers, but it was sold recently. The new owners wanted to get it back in business as a B&b this season, but I have no further info. It had 5 nice rooms, a pool, and was in quiet countryside. Might do an internet check.

Nothing other than luxury hotels is going to offer A/C, not common in France.

Noaillac
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chateau Bed & Breakfast, Chambre de hote near St. Emilion or

I am the new owner of "La Tuilerie" and yes, we have been up and running as before since late February. I will say no more as no advertising is allowed on this site - this post is simply in response to the question of us being open for business.

london
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Chateau Bed & Breakfast, Chambre de hote near St. Emilion or

you can access:

www.saint-emilion-tourisme.com

and click on accommodation

then click on B+B

also,relais franc mayne is a wine chateau and a hotel,5 mns from saint emilion,set in the middle of the vineyards

you can walk to saint emilion through the vineyards in 20mns