We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting bordeaux for 2 night , need some help ...

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Topic
visiting bordeaux for 2 night , need some help ...

My husband and i will arrive to Bordeaux on Friday 23 July, for 2 nights.

From the reports i read, i decided to go with the tourist office tour, ''Secrets of Great Wine Tour'' on Saturday.

Since i am arriving at 14:23 to Bordeaux i will have part of the afternoon and evening to plan something, may be Bordeaux tour? Any advice?

Since Saturday tour will cover medioc I want to go Sunday morning to visit Saint-Émilion ( because after all i read about the charming place, i would die if i don’t visit it:) is 2 hours enough to have a taste of the place, may be by having breakfast there, any good places with a view for breakfast to recommend ?

many thanks

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting bordeaux for 2 night , need some help ...

In regard to St Emillion - are you counting travel time in your two hours? From my experience it takes about 40 minutes each way on a good day. Two hours in St Emillion would barely get you enough time to see the town and you would be rushed. Take more time there if you can - it is quite lovely to ramble through the sights and feel of the town. There are a few cafes right on the terrace by the Clock Tower that have views and one very lovely hotel restaurant

jhg

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting bordeaux for 2 night , need some help ...

thank you for the advise.

i think if i leave Bordeaux early ( i will have a car) and have my breakfast in saint emillion, i can have a pure 3 hours of sight viewing plus breakfast, since i will be driving towards the Riviera coast, and i am planning a night stop in a village in my way.

do you recommend a place. i was thinking on the coast like adge or meze, but it will not be possible since i don’t want to rush to arrive there, or arrive late in the evening, i prefer to stop when it is still day light and enjoy a place and leave very early morning.

i started to be amoureuse de la france :) every place i google is interesting

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visiting bordeaux for 2 night , need some help ...

Toulouse is about two and a half hours from Boudeaux on the highway; Castelnaudary is a little bit further. If you haven't yet done so, check out www.viamichelin.com -enter your destination choice and it will give you a route and the time it takes

Toulouse looks lovely; its larger then the other two I mentioned. Castelnaudary get great reviews from visitors. Hope this helps

jhg

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: visiting bordeaux for 2 night , need some help ...

thank you janeharriet, viamichelin is a good help.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: visiting bordeaux for 2 night , need some help ...

janeharriet, I googled Castelnaudary and also Carcassonne and both are interesting, what do you advice me to choose, and what about the below hotels are they interesting;

Castelnaudary

Mercure Carcassonne Porte De La Cite

Arcantis Hôtel Le Bristol

Hotel Des Trois Couronnes

and

Castelnaudary

Hôtel Abbaye Ecole de Sorèze 280aed

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: visiting bordeaux for 2 night , need some help ...

Carcssone, according to many guides and postings is really a day-trip kind of place; magnificent and worth a visit (Haven't been yet but my sister-in law has agreed with this -I'll be visiting in Sept)

hotels in Michelin guide

Hotel trois couronnes hotel3couronneswanadoo.fr

le donjon- les ramparts info@bestwestern-donjon.com

As I posted, Castelnaudary gets very good press in regard to being a charming small town; it appears in a a lot of "charing villages" types of books. The Michelin Guide list a couple of hotels there:

du canal hotelducanal@wanadoo.fr

centre et Lauragais-telephone 0468232595

We had thought of staying in Carcassone for our trip, but ultimately decide to spend a day there -we are staying in Couiza which is south of Carcassonne on the D118 - Chateau des ducs de joyeuse. I think it's about a 30-40 minute ride out of Carcassone

jhg

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: visiting bordeaux for 2 night , need some help ...

i cant thank you enough ... i checked the Château Des Ducs De Joyeuse and i couldn't resist it ... and i booked a night stay few minutes ago.

my biggest issue now is the car, as i am looking for a convertible/ automatic car and cant find one. unfortunately i cant drive manual other ways i would have a good deal.

may be one day i can return the favor, if you are planning a trip to dubai or morocco i can help.

thank u

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: visiting bordeaux for 2 night , need some help ...

no problem - enjoy your trip . Let me know what you think of the Chateau des Ducs in Couiza

jhg

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: visiting bordeaux for 2 night , need some help ...

Will do for sure.cheers.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: visiting bordeaux for 2 night , need some help ...

As i mensioned in my first post, i will be arriving at 14:23 to Bordeaux, may be finish my check in arround 5 pm, what do you advice me to do during the evening? a tour bus? and what about dinner any advice? i am looking for something very french and crowded ( life) an open place may be.

please help