We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bordeaux to Saint Emilion

Which Bordeaux hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
88 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Bordeaux to Saint Emilion

We will be on a cruise ship overnight in Bordeaux and have a long afternoon and evening tour planned for the first day.

But we are interested in seeing Saint Emilion, the historic town and do not want to take a big tour---just to get to the town and spend 2-3 hours with a walking tour or something the next morning only---in English.

MapQuest says it is about 45 minutes to Saint Emilion. Is it possible to hire a driver to take us there, wait, and bring us back to Bordeaux? Prices?

I need some ideas or web sites. Thanks ;)

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,555 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bordeaux to Saint Emilion

Here's an idea:

www.saint-emilion-tourisme.com/index.php…

I shudder to think what it would cost to hire a car and driver even for a half-day!

I would suggest going by train, but the little station at St Emilion is about a mile from the village, the trains are not very frequent and might not match your schedule.

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bordeaux to Saint Emilion

You might look into the possibility of renting a car for the day - the roads are good and well marked and the driving is not difficult. Your cruise company/dircetor might be able to arrange a car hire for you.

jhgrady

Bordeaux, France
Destination Expert
for Bordeaux
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bordeaux to Saint Emilion

There is a fellow with whom I have worked in the past who specializes in driving people to the vineyards, and since he has been doing this for years he not only has a driver's license, but actually knows where the châteaux are located without having to consult a map (which is not always the case) and can offer interesting and useful information about the region along the way. Plus, he's reasonably priced.

His name is Philippe Lacabanne, and you can reach him at prince3@wanadoo.fr

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bordeaux to Saint Emilion

Hi,

We were there recently. Got a tram to the train station. Train at 1.30 took about 40 mins. 20 mins walk to St Emillion. Train back at 6.00. It worked out quite well. It was a Sunday.

Texas
Level Contributor
88 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bordeaux to Saint Emilion

Are there taxis waiting at the docks to take cruise passengers places like I've seen in so many other cruise ports?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,169 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bordeaux to Saint Emilion

I just answered another post this afternoon from someone traveling on the same ship (don't know if it's the same dates or not, but...)

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g488277-i12623-k36…

The cruise line just added a shore excursion to St Emilion which includes a walking tour of the town, a visit to the Monolithe, lunch, and a wine tasting...I think it was somewhere around $200 per person...which is the minimum you'd pay for any other type of private tour.

You might check the updated information to see if it's available for your dates...as it looked like quite a nice tour...with the very nice benefit that if the time runs long for some reason, they're more likely to hold the boat for one of their own tours than they are for someone headed out on their own.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,173 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bordeaux to Saint Emilion

We stayed in St Emilion, took the cute tourist train through the winefields with explanations available in English and also took the English speaking tour of the underground church and the cave of St Emilion. Cost to do both was less than E20/person. St Emilion is a very small town, mostly given over to tourism and wine these days. The wine cooperative, Maison du Vin, near where the little train starts is a good place to visit for lots of different bottles of wine from the local makers plus there are heaps of tasting/negotiants in town. The train also stops off at one cellar where you can stop and do a wine tasting and catch the next little train.

We did the train in the morning and the tour after lunch.

nickbooth.id.au/Images/…StEmilion.jpg photo taken on the little train trip.

The train is a little white thing with open carriages, looks like a child's ride but most useful (if a bit infra dig) for getting an overview of a new town.

Edited: 10 June 2010, 08:05
8. Re: Bordeaux to Saint Emilion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2010, 07:44