We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 days in Aquitaine

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
6 days in Aquitaine

My husband and I will be spending approximately 6 days in the Aquitaine area, starting in Limoges at the beginning of July. We were thinking of spending 1 night in Limoges, 2 in Bordeaux, and 3 in Biscarrosse. Any suggestions for making the most of our time, including some relaxation at the beach?

Mentioned in this post
Aquitaine
Aquitaine
Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Limoges
Limoges
Haute-Vienne, France
Bordeaux
Bordeaux
Gironde, France
Biscarrosse
Biscarrosse
Landes, France
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,624 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 days in Aquitaine

Well Biscarrosse is a beach resort, so that should take care of that aspect.

The city of Bordeaux is a must, there's plenty to see and do there.

Will you have a car? This makes a great deal of difference to the possible answers.

Mentioned in this post
Biscarrosse
Biscarrosse
Landes, France
Bordeaux
Bordeaux
Gironde, France
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 days in Aquitaine

Yes, we have a car, so that makes travelling around much easier. With regards to Biscarrosse specifically, will there be enough to see and do for 3 days beyond relaxing on the beach?

Mentioned in this post
Biscarrosse
Biscarrosse
Landes, France
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
253 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 days in Aquitaine

Biscarosse is a beach resort pure and simple and you won't really find much else to do without travelling. What not extend your stay in Bordeaux and drive to Biscarosse for a day trip, Cap Ferret for another and spend an extra day in the much more interesting Bordeaux area?

Mentioned in this post
Bordeaux
Bordeaux
Gironde, France
Cap-Ferret
Cap-Ferret
Lege-Cap-Ferret, France
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 days in Aquitaine

Thanks for the adivce. I was wondering about that amount of time in Biscarrosse. The inn we'd like to stay in has a 3 night minimum, so I was trying to work around that. However, your suggestion makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Biscarrosse
Biscarrosse
Landes, France
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
244 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 days in Aquitaine

Driving around the area is not difficult, however driving in the city of Bordeaux itself can be very challenging. I've driven in and out of the city many times and the last time I still had a hard time getting to the parking closest to my hotel. Figure on driving in/out and leaving the car for the rest of the time while you're there. Not sure what route you're taking from Limoges but the non-highway route is pretty and Brantome and Perigueux are worth a visit and in fact each may be a better stay than Limoges. The beach area south of Archachon is lovely with pine forests reaching almost to the beaches. The towns are mostly touristic but enjoyable all the same. By the way, Bordeaux is a great city to spend a few nights in on the way; it's a must.

Mentioned in this post
Bordeaux
Bordeaux
Gironde, France
Limoges
Limoges
Haute-Vienne, France
Perigueux
Perigueux
Dordogne, France
England, United...
Level Contributor
6,371 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 days in Aquitaine

Biscarosse has a beautiful long, sandy beach but when we visited, there was no shelter from the sun.

Lac Navarosse is a nice spot for a morning/afternoon trip. Perhaps afternoon would be better if it is particularly hot as it is surrounded by trees.

We enjoyed a visit to Chateau de Cazeneuve. I am interested in French history and this was the home of Henri IV at La Reine Margot. It is situated at Prechac - Villandraut. The grounds include a bamboo forest and a riverside walk to a grotto

www.chateaudecazeneuve.com

Other places we visited: Creon, Cadillac, Arcachon (dune de Pyla - worth the climb!!)

We also came across another vineyard to add to our list. Chateau Melin and Chateau Constantin at Baurech: www.vignobles-modet.com

Mentioned in this post
Chateau de Cazeneuve
Chateau de Cazeneuve
132 Reviews
Prechac, France
Arcachon
Arcachon
Gironde, France
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 days in Aquitaine

Your first-hand experience in Bordeaux is much appreciated. I'll keep that in mind when choosing accommodations. With regards to Limoges, we were thinking of driving to and staying there directly from the airport in Paris upon our arrival. We wanted to get a good head start within the limits of "jetlag". I'll take a look at Brantome and Perigeux. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Bordeaux
Bordeaux
Gironde, France
Limoges
Limoges
Haute-Vienne, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6 days in Aquitaine

Thanks, Pamjo, for the beach suggestions, as well as for the historical sights. Visiting vineyards will be another highlight, so we'll check out the chateaux you recommended.

9. Re: 6 days in Aquitaine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2014, 05:15