We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to visit on our way to Bordeaux

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Places to visit on our way to Bordeaux

Hi, My husband and I are travelling from Tours in the Loire Valley to Bordeaux. We are spending two days in Tours and then have two days and a night to spend on the way to our next stay in St Emillion just outside Bordeaux. Can anyone recommend any places on the way to Bordeaux from Tours that would be worth stopping at?

Mentioned in this post
Loire Valley
Loire Valley
Centre-Val de Loire, France
Sightseeing in France - Private Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Bordeaux Free Walking Tours
Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Bordeaux Bike Experience
Cultural Tours, City Tours, Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours
My Bordeaux Tour
Sightseeing Tours
Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to visit on our way to Bordeaux

Looking at the map, you might want to check out La Rochelle area - The town of La Rochelle is on the Atlantic coast and might be a nice contrast to both Tours and Bourdeaux. We stayed there a few years ago and liked it very much; definitely enough to see/do for a day or two.

It looks to be less than a three hour drive both from Tours and to Bourdeaux. Check out time , mileage and routes on www.viamichelin.com.

jhgrady

Edited: 21 May 2013, 13:39
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to visit on our way to Bordeaux

Poitiers for sure, then I'd either head to La Rochelle for a day or to Royan, after which you could travel down the banks of the Gironde to Bordeaux and then over to St-Emillion.

Mentioned in this post
Gironde
Gironde
Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Essex
Level Contributor
30,026 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to visit on our way to Bordeaux

If I was going to Royan, on this trip, then I recommend taking the Ferry across the Gironde Estuary to Le Verdon and then driving the very scenic roads of the Medoc down to Bordeaux...

You could maybe detour to Arcachon, if there is time, to visit the amazing Sand Dune....

Mentioned in this post
Arcachon
Arcachon
Gironde, France
4. Re: Places to visit on our way to Bordeaux

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2013, 05:15
Essex
Level Contributor
30,026 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to visit on our way to Bordeaux

Self Promotion is not allowed on TA, by the way...

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to visit on our way to Bordeaux

Unfortunately my attempt to provide some (I think) useful travel advice was misinterpreted so I will try again: I agree with taking the ferry over the Gironde. You haven't said what time of year you will be traveling, if its in summer then the ferries run continuously with a departure every 50 minutes but at other times of the year you should plan your travel ahead of time so as not to waste time waiting for the boat. The timetable can be found online by searching for "bac Royan Le Verdon"

Once over the estuary, you can explore the wonderful Médoc region: small Médocain wineries, or the huge Hourtin-Carcans lake or the Atlantic coast beaches. Depending on your preferences you could stay your night in the region or travel on to Bordeaux and discover the city on your 2nd day.

Mentioned in this post
Gironde
Gironde
Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Essex
Level Contributor
30,026 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to visit on our way to Bordeaux

Your advice was fine.

However, posting links to your commercial enterprise is definitely not,

Read the community guidelines, you can link to them - blue hypertext above EVERY text reply box if you forget what they are, but just for you:

tripadvisor.co.uk/help/what_are_the_guidelin…

8. Re: Places to visit on our way to Bordeaux

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2014, 06:17