We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Paris to Bordeaux by car?

Which Bordeaux hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Targu Jiu, Romania
1 post
Save Topic
From Paris to Bordeaux by car?

Is it worth it? We want to travel from Paris to Bordeaux by car and avoid the highways. How long will this trip be?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,751 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Paris to Bordeaux by car?

www.viamichelin.com

It's probably cheaper and definitely faster to just take the train.

Bordeaux, France
Destination Expert
for Bordeaux
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Paris to Bordeaux by car?

I used to do this trip (both ways) by car on the N10 around 18 years ago when I had to go to Paris and wanted to get a feel for the French countryside. Traveling on the autoroute is like traveling on a highway almost everywhere—it is designed to avoid the traffic in towns and villages and the result is a speedy passage through a lovely, but fairly anonymous, landscape.

If your interest in making this trip by car and avoiding the autoroute is to see more of France, then prepare to spend around 10 hours making the trip between Paris and Bordeaux (following the posted speed limits). However, in the years since I last made this trip the French road authorities have upgraded several long sections of the N10 to high-speed roads which run around many of the urban areas, so you'll probably make better time now but see less of the small villages.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Paris to Bordeaux by car?

Unless I had at least a week to toodle my way up the coast and then inland on the D and N roads, I would never do this. The TGV takes 3 hours and costs next to nothing if you're alert to PREM fares and promos (and Bordeaux is almost always on the promo list).

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
229 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Paris to Bordeaux by car?

The super highway is really easy between Paris and Bordeaux; I've done this drive many times. However if it is your goal just to get there, I agree with St. Cirq that it's much, much easier on the train. If your goal is to see and experience more of France, it's easy to get off of the highway and spend time in many wonderful places along the way. This would require at least one night's stay, however, because it's at least a five or six hour drive without taking time to explore.

5. Re: From Paris to Bordeaux by car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2015, 07:15