We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TGV day trip from Bordeaux

Belfast
Level Contributor
21 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
TGV day trip from Bordeaux

Hi

We're going to be spending a week in Bordeaux later in the year. My Dad's just discovered the TGV trains stop at Bordeaux and he's really interested in taking a trip on one. It will make a change from his usual hobby of steam trains!

Does anyone know if it would be feasible to take a TGV day trip from Bordeaux and if so, what destination would you recommend? We've taken him to Paris before, so would be looking somewhere else.

Thank-you.

Andrésy, France
Level Contributor
6,291 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TGV day trip from Bordeaux

Although the TGV serves Bordeaux, it doesn't run at high speed except on the line between Tours & Paris. A new line is under construction from Tours to Bordeaux but it will be a while before it opens.

Belfast
Level Contributor
21 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TGV day trip from Bordeaux

Thanks tradeform. I'll pass that info onto Dad and see what he thinks. I suspect he's more interested in the speed than the trains.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,285 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TGV day trip from Bordeaux

The new TGV line at Bordeaux is due to open in 2017. Meanwhile they run at normal speed (only up to 100mph) on normal tracks.

If the train still appeals, the nice town of Dax is 1 hour 9 minutes away by TGV, average speed 79mph only! Reservations are compulsory.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,088 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TGV day trip from Bordeaux

It's 3h19 to Paris, but if you book early enough you can get fares from 20 euros each way at www.capitainetrain.com which makes it a very affordable day out.

Belfast
Level Contributor
21 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TGV day trip from Bordeaux

Thanks cubsur and Man_in_Seat_61. I've passed your info on to Dad and will see what he decides. I can't see him going for the Paris option as we visited there a couple of years ago, but a trip somewhere picturesque and nearer may appeal.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TGV day trip from Bordeaux

Dax or the next station, Bayonne, could be of interest as the line there through the Landes pine forests runs straight for miles. It was used for speed records in the pre-TGV days.

7. Re: TGV day trip from Bordeaux

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2015, 05:15