We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Usual closing hours for chateaux in Saint-Emilion?

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
122 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Usual closing hours for chateaux in Saint-Emilion?

I'm trying to book appointments with a couple of our choice chateaux. I'm wondering what the usual closing hours are since their websites usually just say "by appointment" with no specific times.

Would it be too late to request a tour to start around 4 or 4.30pm?

Thanks in advance, TA's!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,861 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Usual closing hours for chateaux in Saint-Emilion?

"by appointment" means that they don't have "usual closing hours"

No, I wouldn't start a tour that late -- working people are ready to head home to their families by 5- 5:30, and you don't want a rushed tasting.

Edited: 22 August 2014, 11:59
Bordeaux, France
Destination Expert
for Bordeaux
Level Contributor
1,311 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Usual closing hours for chateaux in Saint-Emilion?

Tours can begin as early as 9:30 and finish at 6:00. Since Bordeaux château tours generally last 60 minutes or more, last tours of the day generally begin at 4:30 at the latest (in my experience). However, take into account Sunshine817's advice about rushed touring and tasting, and enquire about each château's policy when contacting them.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
122 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Usual closing hours for chateaux in Saint-Emilion?

Thank you very much! Your tips will help us maximize our short visit.

4. Re: Usual closing hours for chateaux in Saint-Emilion?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2015, 05:16