We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biarritz or Bayonne???

sydney
Level Contributor
176 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Biarritz or Bayonne???

Cant decide which would be a better place to stay for a couple of nights before catching the train to St Jean Pied De Port, Bayonne or Biarritz have been advised Biarritz as there is more to see. But as I will be booking accomodation ahead dont want to have problems with trains. I also realise if I catch the train from Biarritz it does go via Bayonne. If I stay at Bayonne would I have more choices on trains. Will be travelling in May 2011 and hope to book the train 90 days out.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,306 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Biarritz or Bayonne???

Why not stay in Anglet it is between both you can catch the bus in either direction it only takes 10 minutes or so get the train at the main station in Bayoone.I did this in September and had no trouble getting to either places.If you fly into Anglet airport you can walk down to your hotel .

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Biarritz or Bayonne???

One thing to consider is that the station at Biarritz is a bit of a treck from the centre of town. I find Bayonne to be an interesting town and it would be easy to get down to Biarritz for a day trip. By the way, as the traind between Bayonne and St Jean-Pied-de=Port are a local TER service there is no particular advantage in booking in advance.

sydney
Level Contributor
176 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Biarritz or Bayonne???

Thanks wrappido and railtraveller65 for the info.

My concern about the train to St Jean Pied De Port was if I didnt book I would have problems getting on , are you able to purchase tickets the day before or do you think I wont have any problems on the day I know in May it is not the busy time but I do know that St Jean Pied De port is a popular destination for walkers.

4. Re: Biarritz or Bayonne???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 November 2015, 21:09
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
50,238 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Biarritz or Bayonne???

Correct there is no advance booking and no reservation for local TER trains so as the earlier advice said, you just buy a ticket and get on. As the trains to St Jean Pied de Port start from Bayonne, it makes sense to get there 15 - 20 minutes before departure to make sure you get a seat.

And beware that there are only 3 or 4 trains a day during May.

Rogerstone
Level Contributor
201 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Biarritz or Bayonne???

They are both interesting and charming French towns but asa family we have a leaning towards Bayonne. Not as pretentious as Biarritz but all the benefits of a city

Paris, France
Level Contributor
12,244 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Biarritz or Bayonne???

I spent two weeks in this area on the coast in a town called Bidart, between Saint Jean de Luz and Biarritz/Bayonne. As Diz has mentioned, Saint Jean de Luz is the loveliest town in this region. Far more interesting and beautiful than Bayonne or Biarritz. Lovely ancient buildings, cobbled streets, lively, nice beach, beautiful coastal walking trails, loads of restaurants, shops etc. If you don't have to stay in Biarritz or Bayonne I would highly recommend you consider Saint Jean de Luz. I know you only have a few nights but there is good rail and bus service between these towns and it's probably only a 20 to 30 minute trip. You will love Saint Jean Pied de Port as well.

8. Re: Biarritz or Bayonne???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2011, 06:46
Get answers to your questions about Biarritz