We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biarritz or San Sebastian

Which Biarritz hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Louisville, kentucky
Level Contributor
354 posts
Save Topic
Biarritz or San Sebastian

Hello,

We have recently moved from the US to Bordeaux France. My daughter and friend who recently graduated from high school will be visiting for a couple weeks. We want to do a couple day trips so they can enjoy the beach. I would like to look thru shops and sit at Cafes. Which would be the safer option to turn these girls loose for the day. We are also taking them to Arcachon to the dunes etc.

Thanks

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,546 posts
461 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Biarritz or San Sebastian

San Sebastian is a bigger town so there will be more choice in shops and cafes etc. However, it is a reasonable assumption that a larger town will have more crime (I assume this is what you are worried about?).

Having said that, Biarritz is closer to Bordeaux so you can sound more time browsing the shops here, of which there are more than enough for one day's shopping.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
46,368 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Biarritz or San Sebastian

San Sebastian is a very nice city and the beach is right there, in the city centre so to speak. Somehow it didn't feel like a Spanish city at all, possibly for the fact that almost all street signs, notices etc are in the Basque language. BTW everything and everyone in the region refers to San Sebastian by its Basque name of Donostia.

But it is a long way from Bordeaux for a day trip.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
859 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Biarritz or San Sebastian

San Sebastian / Donostia is a fabulous place with a great city centre beach and excellent cafes and tapas bars. It is approx 3hrs from Bordeaux and you may consider it a bit far for a day trip. Closer to home with excellent beaches are Biscarrosse, Seignosse, Capbreton and Hossegor. The beaches here and in Biarritz face the full brunt of the Atlantic and can be challenging for swimmers. The beach at SS is far more sheltered.

If it were my choice then it would be SS.

www.viamichelin.com for route planning

Louisville, kentucky
Level Contributor
354 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Biarritz or San Sebastian

Thanks for these replies. Certainly gives us something to think about... I want the girls to be able to hang out on their own. I think it would be neat for them to see surfers.. We don't get to see that when we vacation in Florida. If we go to San Sebastian, would definitely have to spend the night a French co worker suggested it but indicated it was closer. I appreciate all the other beach suggestions as well and will take a look... I think they just want a day to lay in the sun! I want a low hassle relaxing day. I am taking them to Paris a couple days later so enough said!

Merci Beaucoup!

Vitoria-Gasteiz...
Level Contributor
142 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Biarritz or San Sebastian

Hello,

Both San Sebastian and Biarritz are safe, you will not have crime problems different to those in Bordeaux. Both have a nice surfing area(specially Biarritz, where this sport was introduced in Europe at first). However, I agree that it is a bit long way both places (the distance from Biarritz to San Sebastian is about 30 mins). (It is around 3 hours in a good motorway (you can see your way in google).

If you like a place with sand and bars, I like very much Hossegor and Capbreton that Lightblue7 suggested. However, San Sebastian (although low for Spanish standards) hits all cities in France until Bordeaux for partying issues.

Enjoy,

Aitor Delgado

www.aitordelgado.com

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,546 posts
461 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Biarritz or San Sebastian

If you do decide to drive as far as San Sebastian you will probably go the highway route. Here is a time lapse video of the journey I made:

biarritzairporttransfers.com/Biarritz-to-San…

Hopefully it will give you some idea of what to expect.

Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Biarritz or San Sebastian

Currently in San Seb. And having a lovely time. We're nearing the end of our trip and deciding whether to move on to somewhere else such as Biarritz for 3 or so nights, or to extend our time and stay about 9 nights in San Seb.

Is there anywhere preferably costal that we should check out for a few nights before we head to Paris and then eventually home to Sydney?

From what we've read on te forums, Biarritz is getting a bit tired. After such a good time in San Seb we'd be heart broken to move somewhere else that isn't as good as San Seb.

So extend the stay in San Seb. or move onto Biarritz or similar for 3 nights?

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
46,368 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Biarritz or San Sebastian

A problem might be finding somewhere to stay in or around Biarritz at short notice. The whole of France is on holiday during August.

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,546 posts
461 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Biarritz or San Sebastian

As cubsur has said, plus there was even a bank holiday on Wednesday last week so it is particularly busy here at the moment.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Biarritz or San Sebastian

Me n my wife re thinking whether to go to San Sebastian or Biarritz for 2 days this Friday. Would the samane grande festival be on then?

Edited: 20 August 2012, 22:32
Get answers to your questions about Biarritz