We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biarritz, Hossogar, Capreton, Seignosse or St-Jean de Luz?

Which Biarritz hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Biarritz, Hossogar, Capreton, Seignosse or St-Jean de Luz?

Hello people of trip advisor, I hope you can offer me some top tips.

My boyfriend and I are planning a visit to the French Basque country for 6 days in the middle of September. We fly in to Biarritz on the 17th and are keen to find some funky accommodation where we can get surf lessons while also enjoying a bit of culture, gastronomy and of course so night time adventure, a bit of everything.

I would like some recommendations on the best location to find all of this, we were thinking Hossegor but I am worried about there being too much emphasis on surfing (we are both beginners) however other locations such as St-Jean de Luz or Seignosse might be to quite. Biarritz also maybe too touristy and expensive......Please let me know any tips or suggestions you have! Thank you!

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,539 posts
461 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Biarritz, Hossogar, Capreton, Seignosse or St-Jean de Luz?

Capbreton, Hossegor and Seignosse aren't in the Basque country so if that is what you want then you can ignore them. I don't particularly like the feel of those three anyway as they are very touristy and purpose built.

Saint Jean de Luz is quiet but in the summer there is still plenty of nightlife. There isn't actually a surfing beach in the town so if you were to learn there then you will probably get transported to the nearest suitable beach.

Biarritz has several surfing beaches and non-surfing beaches, plenty of nightlife and things to do other than surfing. The only problem is that it is expensive.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
46,290 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Biarritz, Hossogar, Capreton, Seignosse or St-Jean de Luz?

I will add that, without a car, some of those places are between difficult and impossible to get to.

Biarritz, France
Level Contributor
157 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Biarritz, Hossogar, Capreton, Seignosse or St-Jean de Luz?

Biarritz is the most beautifulone among those places you comment. And that´s right, Capbreton, Hossegor and Seignosse are not in the Basque Country. If you want my honest opinion, they´re packed with cheap family resorts and cheap people wandering around in a jumper all day with their noisy children.

Biarritz is so much worth for surfing, nightlife, shopping and everything else.

Edited: 09 July 2013, 22:21
Herrliberg...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Biarritz, Hossogar, Capreton, Seignosse or St-Jean de Luz?

Hi everybody, thanks for sharing your experience with the Bordeaux coastal region for a Swiss family who has never vacationed in France. Can't make up for this oversight in one holiday of course but better late than never. Our plans are to spend a week between 10-17 August with 2-3 days driving from/back to Zurich.

My wonderful wife and 2 kids have our eyes on the coastline from Biarritz to Saint-Jean-de-Luz, mostly due to a drive I did 30 years ago from Olympic WA to Los Angeles CA down Hwy 1 (its a long story:-). Our kids are 14 and 12 (boy and girl) and we were wondering if there is enough to keep them and us enthralled for a 6-7 day stay.

We're outdoors sportive type family, enjoying hiking, biking, and swimming. It's been about 6 years since any of us have been to the ocean so we picked the southern French Atlantic coast for this reason (its a lot more affordable than the Mediterranean at high season). Our kids need to practice their French before school starts again too.

Would you recommend staying in the heart of a coastline village like Saint-Jean-de-Luz with its higher prices and charm? We're on a budget so any saving's suggestions without compromising an overall great location experience appreciated. Love to hear your thoughts to make our first foray to the Atlantic ocean a vacation to remember. Thanks!

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,539 posts
461 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Biarritz, Hossogar, Capreton, Seignosse or St-Jean de Luz?

Saint Jean de Luz is a good base for exploring this area. If you want somewhere close but a little cheaper then just to the north is Acotz, lots of campsites etc and a coastal footpath goes south all the way to Hendaye and to Bidart in the north.

For city visits then Biarritz is close and so is San Sebastian.

The motorway between Biarritz and Saint Jean de Luz is short (video here: biarritzairporttransfers.com/Biarritz-to-Sai… ) the coastal road is more interesting but takes longer, perhaps 30 minutes at most.

6. Re: Biarritz, Hossogar, Capreton, Seignosse or St-Jean de Luz?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2014, 06:20