We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in mid to late June - lack of air conditioning

STUART, FL
Level Contributor
282 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in mid to late June - lack of air conditioning

We are looking at self catering or rural lodgings and it does not seem like most places have air conditioning. I can not imagine not having AC in the summer and my DH has a narrow temperature comfort zone. What is the temperature and humidity like at that time of year?

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,978 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in mid to late June - lack of air conditioning

Air conditioning is exceptional in such places because it is unnecessary.

The climate in late spring should be in the mid 20's but with global warming this is impossible to predict as the weather patterns accross Europe are changing.

STUART, FL
Level Contributor
282 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in mid to late June - lack of air conditioning

We will be there in late June, which is mid summer. What are the temps at that time? In farenheit, please.

Chicago suburbs
Level Contributor
374 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in mid to late June - lack of air conditioning

I was in the Luberon area of Provence in June of 2006 and the temps were in the mid to high 90's!!! We definitely needed air conditioning. However, one cannot predict what the temps will be from year to year. If I were you, I would make a res in a hotel that had air conditioning and do the gite on another trip during the early spring or fall.

Enjoy!

joy/luvparee

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,878 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in mid to late June - lack of air conditioning

wunderground.com/cgi-bin/…

has all the weather for Bergerac, including historical.

Google is your friend.

As far as air conditioning, most likely not, It never gets hot enough to justify it.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,133 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in mid to late June - lack of air conditioning

I agree that you're very unlikely to find AC anywhere, and especially in self-catering lodging (probably not even in modern hotels, which are few and far between and also a bit antithetical to to the whole Dordogne experience).

But, I also agree that you're unlikely to really need it. Last year was (in my experience, at any rate) a real anomoly and very chilly and rainy in late May and early June, but generally it's quite pleasant. Even if it's warm during the day, it cools off enough, and usually with some breeze, to sleep comfortably at night. (Also, most places I've stayed had at least a small fan for air movement if it gets really warm, and that's like to be all you need.)

It's a wonderful area, please don't let yourself be put off by worrying about whether you might wish you had AC!

Diz
UK
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in mid to late June - lack of air conditioning

I'd agree absolutely with the others that AC isn't necessary ... but I think it may be different if you're already used to it at home. I've had some AC-dependent foreign friends staying here in the past and they found it a problem sleeping (in the UK!). If you are used to shutting the windows and going to bed to a steady hum and a constant temperature, then it's a potential problem to leave the windows open (noise), find it a bit too warm in the evening and then a bit too cool by dawn / early morning. The result can be disturbed nights and a certain level of irritation all round :-( If that sounds like your DH, then you'll probably have a more enjoyable holiday if you head for an hotel with guaranteed AC.

Just to add that last year we booked some self-catering that advertised AC - turned out to be a small unit in the living room with an extra charge of 40€ a week - we settled for closing shutters / opening windows like everyone else!

7. Re: Weather in mid to late June - lack of air conditioning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 14:17