We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need to reserve hotels in early June?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Need to reserve hotels in early June?

My wife and I are planning on taking a two-week trip the first half of June and will concentrate our time in the Dordogne with some time in Provence as well. If I had my druthers, I would let this trip happen spontaneously and see where our mood takes us. In people's experience, is it necessary to book hotels way in advance this time of year, or can one just show up and easily find places? We plan on staying in mostly low-to midrange establishments, and are particularly interested in B&Bs, guesthouses, and the like. Thanks in advance!

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need to reserve hotels in early June?

booking ahead or as you go really depends on your personal preference and tolerance for the unexpected I think. June is not, in my experience, a heavily crowded time in Dordgogne. However it is still a major destination, and you may not always get first choice without prior booking. I am not sure about Provence, but it is also quite a popular destination from spring to fall.

We always book ahead of time and choose a central town/city for 4-5 days that then allows us to travel around an area as we choose. We try to pick a spot that has enough activities and sites that are within a 1-2 hour drive from our location. We decide what kinds of things/places/activities interest us, research a central town with hotels/restaurants and go with what we like. we usually plan our days as they come but we have a general idea of what is in the area. I do know people who are way more spontaneous and enjoy the fun and challenges of that mode of travel -to each his own. It's your trip so you get to decide. The one thing I would advise is to do your reading and research about each area ahead of time so you don't miss something you really want to do.

jhgrady

2. Re: Need to reserve hotels in early June?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2010, 07:17