We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Loire and Dordogne with kids end of February

Ontario
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Loire and Dordogne with kids end of February

Hello experts,

Need quick advice! Next week we leave for Paris with our kids, age 7 and 10. We leave there on Feb. 24 and have rented a house for a month in Provence, starting on March 1. We plan to drive in our rental car through Loire and Dordogne-a little convoluted route, but oh well. We have a hotel booked in Loire, but any ideas for hotels in Dordogne or itinerary suggestions-fun/quirky/interesting things to do for all of us. Thanks in advance!!

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Loire and Dordogne with kids end of February

Either les Eyzies or Sarlat may be good with kids. I am suggesting these two because they are small enough to get a feel for life in the area and large enough to have options for dining, hotels and "walk-around" things for kids and adults. They are both fairly central to many interesting places in the areaSarlat is an intact medieval village that is very interesting and close to many other sites that you and your kids might enjoy. At les Eyzies you have the prehistoric area to visit - There is a wonderful cave -Font du Guame (prehistoric cave paintings-not to be missed)right at the edge of town, the Grand roc (pre-historic arbi/cave )on the other end of town and a very interesting museum in town. Hotels in Les Eyzies: Many may be closed for the winter months; - Le Centenaire, Cro Magnon (this hotel had been closed for a few years, but I understand that it has re-opened,) Les Glycines, Centre. (check them out to see if they are open in March. I have not stayed in Sarlat but here are some names of places: La salamandre, La Hoirie, La Madeleine, hostelerie La Verperie (again check to see what is open in March).

The caves at Padirac (underground walk/lake ride) are close to either Les eyzies or Sarlat. Castelnaud is not too far from either town and is a great site with a medieval castle and medieval weaponry and war machines - great views and great history. there are many other towns/sites that you would enjoy. Grab a guide book from a library or book store. I am assuming that you will have a good map for each area you are visiting - Michelin regional maps are quite good

2. Re: Loire and Dordogne with kids end of February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2010, 05:18