We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train schedules to Brive from Paris in June

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
962 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Train schedules to Brive from Paris in June

We are scheduled to arrive into Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris at 7am mid week and will then travel to Austerlitz for the train to Brive. I know that I cannot book rail seats as it is too far in advance but I want to get an idea of the summer schedule so that I can plan our travel route.

I also want to buy tickets for the English tour at Lascaux and Font de Gaume so not sure if I should plan to drive via Montignac in case I need to buy tickets the day before or not. There seems to be a train arriving in Brive around 9.40/2.30pm & 2.00/6.00pm (based on March dates) but not sure if this is a typical year round schedule. I need to allow time just in case my international arrival is late otherwise I will miss all my connections etc and I assume I won't be able to get a rental car in Brive at 6pm.

Can anyone assist with any info.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
44,835 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train schedules to Brive from Paris in June

On that route the summer and winter times are not markedly different. Full summer times in any case start in mid-July.

My January 2011 Thomas Cook European Rail Timetable (an invaluable asset for an overview of long distance timetables in France) shows these trains from Gare Austerlitz to Brive

0740 arrive Brive 1131 (impossible given your arrival time)

0855 arrive Brive 1318

1018 arrive Brive 1418

1352 arrive Brive 1800

These are all Corail TEOZ trains on which reservation is compulsory.

There are later trains at 1603, 1731 and 1949 all taking about 4 hours to reach Brive.

Trust that helps.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,052 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train schedules to Brive from Paris in June

The 1018 is the earliest you could possibly book without significant risk of missing your train...and even then I'd advise you to not make any unnecessary stops.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence
Level Contributor
7,421 posts
441 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train schedules to Brive from Paris in June

Will you be picking up the rental car in Brive and moving on from there?

[I sure hope you will not be too wiped out to drive following a long flight and train ride.]

With regard to tickets for Lascaux, in September 2009, we drove to Montignac a day before our intended visit to buy the tickets and there were people in line who were purchasing tickes for the same day tour. So, arguably, you may not need an advance reservation, but you may not want to take a chance. It may be busier time in June then it was in September. It is an awesome tour.

You have to reserve in advance for your tour of Font-de-Gaume. I recall e-mailing my request and receiving confirmation before we left for France. It is a short, one-hour tour.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
962 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train schedules to Brive from Paris in June

Thanks for advice. It seems like the rail schedules will be much the same and I am a bit concerned that the 1018 sevice might put too much pressure on us in case anything gets delayed so thought I would have to take the late afternoon train instead just to be sure. I don't imagine we will be able to get the car in Brive at 6pm would we?? Just wanted to drive 1 hour to Montignac area.

Do you know the rules, costs and how flexible it would be to try to catch the earlier train if we arrived in time for it? Is there luggage storage at the station if we have to wait?

Think I have just found a better solution - catch a flight from Paris (CDG same arrival airport) to Bordeaux at 1030 or 1300 for a 1 hour flight then get car for 2 hour journey to Montignac, Beynac or Sarlat. I think we should make the 1030 flight and the price is E66 so same or cheaper than rail with no hassle. What do you think?

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
44,835 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train schedules to Brive from Paris in June

The rules about French train ticket exchange and changes are quite complicated and very much depend on which type of ticket you bought. The very cheapest ie booked a long time in advance are often non-exchangeable and non refundable.

You really have to read the small print!

A flight from CDG to Bordeaux sounds appealing at 66 Euros, if you can get it, but you have the issue then of a 2 hour plus drive to Brive while jet lagged.

According to Europcars website their Brive office is open until 1830 so if you book a car in advance you would be able to pick it up I am sure even if on the train that arrives at 1800.

europcar.com/car-rental-BRIVE_RAILWAY_STATIO…

There may well be other car hire companies in town, I haven't looked.

Wheaton, Maryland
Level Contributor
149 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train schedules to Brive from Paris in June

It's probably not what you want to do, but I thought I'd mention that a tiny French airline has flights from Orly to Brive three times a day. One is scheduled to arrive at 5:30 p.m. and tickets can be less than 50 Euros a person.

The airline is Airlinair and they fly turboprops. If you are considering this option, keep the site in French because although some information is in English, the reservations go buggy when you try to make them in English. I think it's a programming issue. Here's the site: http://www.airlinair.com/fr/index.php

We're going from Paris to Brantome and other areas in late June, and I found the airline by chance. We have not decided whether to go from Paris to the area by car, train, plane, or a combination. Of course, we'll have a rental car when we're visiting the area.

Good luck however you go.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
962 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train schedules to Brive from Paris in June

Good suggestions. I had not got around to checking the hire car sites yet so thanks for that. If I book the train that arrives around 6pm and pick up the car up at Brive by 6.30pm we should be able to do the 45 minute drive to Montignac (closest) ok. This would be preferred option. Wish I could be sure of making the 10am train as that would be perfect.

If we did the flight to Bordeaux then we can stop overnight somewhere on tThis would be the preferable option. he way to Montignac/Beynac region and only drive an hour maybe. We only wanted Brive due to the rail & car hire option. Train would allow us to see some countryside and relax a bit.

Any suggestions of where to stay between Bordeaux and Montignac or Beynac that would be scenic.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train schedules to Brive from Paris in June

Assuming that you are arriving from Australia I would suggest very strongly that you not even think about driving after such a long journey. By the time you reach Paris you will already have been travelling for 20-24 hours across 10 (or is it 11?) time zones. You will be tired, disoriented and jet-lagged when you arrive in Paris. Hanging around CDG (or Paris) for several hours and then taking another flight or the train will not make driving, whether for one or two hours a better plan. The issue is not how far you drive but driving at all. The fact that you will be driving on the "wrong" side of the road and the car will compound your sense of disorientation.

Please do not do this. You will be a danger to yourselves and to other road users. Your reaction time, perception and overall judgment will be affected in much the same way as having a few large drinks.

Yes, I know a lot of people do it. Many of them get away with it. That doesn't make it either right or sensible. And some do not escape unscathed. Not many of those who do consider driving after a long flight across many time zones will have travelled as far or for as long as you will have by the time you reach either Brive or Bordeaux.

Do yourselves a favor and spend the night in Paris. Then you can choose the best of several options to get yourselves to your destination with much less stress the following day.

Of course if you are actually arriving at CDG from somewhere else in Europe that would totally alter the picture.

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,573 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train schedules to Brive from Paris in June

Thank you, Irish Rover, for saying what I've been worrying about all along.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
962 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train schedules to Brive from Paris in June

Thanks for the input. I just wanted to know all of our options before working out if we would need to overnight. We have decided to overnight in Paris and catch an early morning train. That will give us a taste of Paris before we return for a few more nights after the Dordogne.