We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in the Dordogne

leeds
Level Contributor
15 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in the Dordogne

We are travelling through France in the summer and after a couple of nights in Bordeaux want to travel through the dordogne region with 2 or 3 nights in one or two locations. We are foodies so towns with a decent choice of restaurants is as important as somewhere with all the charm that the best of France has to offer - any recommendations?

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,732 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in the Dordogne

Stay in or about Sarlat. It is a lovely town with several good restaurants (Le Presidal, Le Grand Bleu/Michelin star), cafes, and shops, and Wednesday and Saturday morning markets. Sarlat will afford you an easy drive to Domme (L'Esplanade), and Roque Gageac (Belle Etoile) for lovely meals and strolling. Reserve in advance. Ask for a table with a river view at Belle Etoile and they will honor your request.

Edited: 20 February 2011, 17:40
Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in the Dordogne

Sarlat is lovely-very Medieval, good location etc -it can be crowded in the summer. We have always stayed at Du Centenaire in Les Eyzies-de-Tayac (hotel.centenaire@wanado.fr ) or (centenaire @relaischateaux.com)-very restful and elegant. Les Eyzies can also be crowded in the summer -It is somewhat smaller than Sarlat and also a good location for the area. I find it easier to get in and out of than Sarlat. Les Glycines, also in Les Eyzies, is also a possibility that you might want to check out-I have read good reviews about both the restaurant and hotel. There are well rated restaurants at each of these; the Au Vieux Moulin restaurant at Moulin de Beune is a great dining experience also

jhgrady

leeds
Level Contributor
15 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in the Dordogne

Thanks, both, for the replies -really helpful in narrowing down the search - sarlat is the front runner now.

Los Altos, CA
Level Contributor
88 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in the Dordogne

I agree with the others- if this is your first stay in the region, Sarlat is perfect. I t will offer you the best of the Dordogne. Domme is within driving distance and is a wonderful place and if you're into food ( as you indicated) make sure you eat at L'Esplanade in Domme. It's a hotel with a fabulous restaurant.

I just posted a request for a new town to stay at since we loved the area so much and have seen much more of France since, this is still our favorite area.

There's no way you won't have a great time.

Great Barrington...
Level Contributor
5 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in the Dordogne

If you want to try something slightly east of Sarlat, it's the Pont de L'Ouysse.

This is a lovely inn, with a gorgeous terrace, 1 star Michelin and about 25 mins

from Sarlat, just outside Souillac, in the town of La Cave. There is a cave

there as well, easy access to Rocamadour, hiking from your doorstep. They

have rooms but they also have in a separate building, some apts, near to the

pool. Have stayed here many times and it is lovely. But book immediately.

You can easily go to dinner at Le Grand Bleu which is east of Sarlat and easy

to get to from Souillac, along the river. Another choice is Chateau de la Treyne

but more expensive and have read here needing upgrades.Pont de L'Ouysse

is charming and well appointed.

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,552 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in the Dordogne

I've stayed in Sarlat 5 times now for a few days each trip and although I have visited to other beautiful towns and villages like Domme, Bergerac, Les Eyzies, and Rocamadour, Sarlat is still my favourite. Great markets, good restaurants, bustling without being over crowded or touristy. We try to stay here for either June 21 (Fête de la Musique) or July 14 (Quatorze Juillet) festivities. Best accommodation in town is La Villa des Consuls. It used to be a well kept secret but I see that it is now #1 on TA.

7. Re: Where to stay in the Dordogne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 05:16