We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best place to rent car in dordogne and return in provence

Lubbock, Texas
Level Contributor
75 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
best place to rent car in dordogne and return in provence

Hi

We are planning on going from Paris to the Dorgogne region for 3 days and then to Provence for 3 days before flying out of Nice. We definitely don't want to have a car in Paris but do want one for the other regions and would like to return it before going to Nice. Can anyone suggest the most logical towns in which to rent the car and then drop off? Also, would love suggestions for which towns to base in both regions. We were looking at Sarlat and Arles but would welcome any suggestions.

Thank you

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best place to rent car in dordogne and return in provence

Are you taking a plane or the train from Paris to Dordgogne? Plane is, of course faster a you can rent a car from the airport at Bordeaux. If you are taking the train you should check out the train schedules from Paris to the area and see which is the best city/town fit time-wise. We took the train from Paris to Bordeaux (it was a direct train-no changes); from there it was a two hour drive to the Sarlat area. You might check out Paris to Perigueux and use that townas a car rental spot also ( I do not know how often trains run there and if you have to switch trains). there are regular regional trains into Sarlat (not sure how many or how often; but would definitely involve changing trains) . I do not often travel by train but someone else may possibly have clearer/better specifics for you

Whichever you decide, you should count on a day's travel.

I assume you are planning to drive to Provence- a long drive but doable-again plan on driving taking up a lot of the day.

Sarlat is a lovely town and a good place to use as a base-It can get very crowded if you visit during summer, but the whole area tends to be crowded then

We stayed in Arles( at the D'Arlatan hotel) and found it a good base for sightseeing -it's right on the river and within an hour or so of many interesting stops.

The drive from Arles to Nice is all highway - I might consider driving to the Nice Airport and dropping the car there - it's easy access from the highway and right on the edge of Nice with bus, taxi service right there to get you into Nice quickly.

Train service from either Arles or Aix is also available into Nice.

One suggestion I have -check out your distances (www.michelin.com) -you are packing a lot of area into six days and the drive from Dordgogne into Provence is long. Both areas are wonderful but doing both will involve a lot of travel time.

jhgrady

Paris
Level Contributor
643 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best place to rent car in dordogne and return in provence

What I would do (and have done, except in reverse) is to take the TGV from Paris to Brive la Gaillarde and rent a car at Avis or your preferred rental company. From there you will have about 750 k to Nice - about seven hours of driving, and only a short drive to Sarlat.

Lubbock, Texas
Level Contributor
75 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best place to rent car in dordogne and return in provence

Thanks for the help. We are planning on taking a train out of Paris so I'll search for the best route. Sounds like we may need to revise our itinerary if we want to avoid two long travel days.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best place to rent car in dordogne and return in provence

Just as there are more interesting ways to drive from Sarlat to Arles than the not terribly interesting Autoroute, there are several splendidly scenic routes between Arles and Nice once you get off the highway.

Meanwhile see the responses on your duplicate thread: tripadvisor.com/…33765327

5. Re: best place to rent car in dordogne and return in provence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 20:20