We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Provence or Dordogne

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
34 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Provence or Dordogne

I'm having a really difficult time choosing between Provence and Dordogne for a week of our 3 week trip in late April and early May. We're definitely going to Barcelona for about a week, and then we're undecided. We had thought we'd go to Provence, but I've corresponded with folks on these forums and was introduced to Dordogne. Now I'm stumped. We're traveling with another couple and enjoy wandering through small towns and the countryside as well as visiting bigger cities and museums. Since we're going to Barcelona for the city adventure, we were looking for somewhere more laid back and beautiful. I'd love to hear your suggestions! I'm posting this on both Provence and Dordogne forums.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,269 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Provence or Dordogne

Where are you flying in and out of? It would make more sense to choose something that is more or less logistically sensible, because it gives you less time traveling and more time playing.

Both areas are absolutely wonderful, and you won't regret either choice. My personal favorite is the Dordogne...but again, it all depends on the locations you're bookended into for flights.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
185 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Provence or Dordogne

I spent 5 days in each area in September last year. In Dordogne we stayed just in Sarlat (right in the medieaval town ) which was great. We then went on to Provence and stayed there for 6 days. I guess our experience of the Dordogne was limited because although we did some day trips we spent more time in Sarlat. I loved it and there were some beautiful places of course but having been to both Dordogne and Provence I would definitely choose Provence as my higher priority. As the previous reply has said where you are flying into and out of is important so that your trip makes geographic sense otherwise you will spend an inordinate amount of your precious holiday time travelling between destinations. We stayed in Eyragues in Provence, quite a small village near St Remy and we absolutely loved it. There were lots of places to visit - Gordes, Rouissilon, Avignon, Pont du Gard plus many others which were all good plus our village itself was so lovely and we felt that we experienced the French way of life much moreso there than in Sarlat. If you do go to the Dordogne, you should visit the Marquesaac Gardens which are amazing. In the link attached is the notes I put together after my trip in September.

docstoc.com/docs/104449484/Visiting-France--…

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,186 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Provence or Dordogne

Have a look at the pictures taken by previous visitors on both this forum and the one for Provence. That should give you a rough idea of what you'll see in each place. Maybe then you can decide.

4. Re: Provence or Dordogne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2013, 10:24