We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip suggestions

Luxembourg City...
5 posts
Save Topic
Road Trip suggestions

Does anyone have any ideas of a travel itinerary for a middle-aged English Couple who wish to go for 2 weeks by car from Luxembourg. We wish to see as much as possible of the Atlantic side of France from Biarritz to the Gironde estuary and also some inland areas as well. A tall order in a fortnight, but we are really looking for somewhere where we may retire - so at this stage we just want to see the countryside. We'll book into tourist hotels each night. Any help at all on this would be most welcome!

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip suggestions

That is a huge area to cover and giving advice on where to go and what to see would take me hours to compose. But for a start I recommend that you look at this website:

http://www.tourisme-aquitaine.fr/en/

and also that you use a guidebook to help you narrow down the possibilities. I have used the Michelin Guide 'French Atlantic Coast' which has several suggested car tours covering this region.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,173 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip suggestions

I notice that you have also posted the same query under Aquitaine as well as Dordogne. Not quite sure what you hope to achieve in 2 weeks but you would probably need this amount of time in each region in order to get a feel for what it would be like to live there. You might find that as you drive across France from Luxembourg, certain areas have more appeal to you. I would be inclined to make a note of those places and organise another visit when you could explore in more depth. I wouldn't know where to begin if I had to compare Dordogne to Aquitaine in 2 weeks (or any other French region for that matter) and I have visited France quite a few times.

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip suggestions

Two books that I have found very helpful in putting together itineraries for driving vacations

Thomas Cooks: Drive Around Dordgogne and western France by Eric and Ruth Bailey www.thomascookpublishing.com

Frommer's: France's Best Loved Driving Tours- ISBN #: 0-02861569-7 I think I was able to get it from Amazon.com

You can mix and match routes fairly easily and as you are driving across France, you might find some interesting route to get you where you decide you want to go

jhgrady

4. Re: Road Trip suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Dordogne