We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Perigueux Area

4 posts
Save Topic
Perigueux Area

I will be spending the month of September in France. Starting with a few days in Paris, followed by 12 days in the Luberon, then 10 days in the Dordogne. All this concludes back in Paris for up to 5 days. My question is the following. In order to make this fit from a scheduling point of view, I had to book 3 days in Perigueux prior to my 7 day stay in Beynac. While Periqueux is not all that far from Beynac, I am looking for advice on what to explore to the north and west and to the northeast of this area. On a previous trip, we stayed Limeuil and traveled helter skelter around the area. We did get as far west as St Emilion and I am thinking I would like to explore a little farther west, maybe Bordeaux and some sites in that area. I would like to keep the driving down to a two hours radius. Any ideas?

riberac
Level Contributor
14 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Perigueux Area

From Perigueux you can easily get to Brantome (beautiful town with many eateries looking out onto the river), Aubeterre-sur-Dronne (picturesque hill village overlooking beautiful valley), Bergerac (river trips on the old wine boats) and as you already know, Bordeaux is definitely a good place, particularly Sundays along the quay area where everyone does their own thing and you can buy a bottle of wine and some oysters or other seafoods at the various kiosks along the quayside and picnic al fresco as the locals do....happy exploring and have a lovely trip.

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Perigueux Area

You might consider Oradour sur Glane (Northwest of Limoges) as a possibility. It is a bit of a distance (about an hour and 3/4 away from Prerigeaux.). We actually visited Brantome in the morning and then went on to Oradour

Oradour is a village that was decimated by the Germans after D-Day during WW2. It has been left just as it was that day after the attack in which most of the inhabitants were killed and the town burnt. It is chilling and may not be for everyone; we found it compelling.

jhgrady

3. Re: Perigueux Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2013, 10:23
Get answers to your questions about Dordogne