We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

reservations for the caves of Les Eyzies-de-Tayac

Philadelphia...
1 post
Save Topic
reservations for the caves of Les Eyzies-de-Tayac

How can I make advance reservations for English speaking tours of the caves of Les Eyzies-de-Tayac--Grotte de Font-de-Gaume, Grotte des Combarelles. I can find all kinds of information about the caves but no working site that allows me to make reservations on line

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,045 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: reservations for the caves of Les Eyzies-de-Tayac

You send them an email from their page at www.monuments-nationaux.fr, or you phone them.

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: reservations for the caves of Les Eyzies-de-Tayac

I have phoned them to call in france 05 53 06 86 00; from the states you need to do international code: I think it is 011, then France code (33) then the number.

If you know where you are staying (and it is a hotel, B&b etc), you can call or e-mail and ask them about making a reservation for you-we found that easy; be sure to ask for an English tour unless you are fluent in French

jhgrady

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
235 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: reservations for the caves of Les Eyzies-de-Tayac

i will be in dordogne with kids during first week of august. i wrote to the monumets nationaux e-mail and they answered that there aren't any more free place (to be reserved by e-mail) for the period we requested. Our last choiche is to go there early at morning and buy the ticket on place.

Saint-Avit-de-Vialar...
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: reservations for the caves of Les Eyzies-de-Tayac

i don't know if you need reservations for Combárelles, but it may be a matter of just pitching up there to see when the next available place is. For font de Gaume, however, places are strictly limited because of the fragility of the paintings (the Font de Gaume is the only cave in Europe with polychrome paintings that is still open to the public). About 2 weeks ago, in anticipation of a visit from ffriends, we went to the ticket office in person (we live nearby) to try to reserve tickets for the following week, and were told that all reservable tickets were sold out until the end of August! However 50 tickets are made available each day on a first come, first served basis so the only way to get a ticket is to come to the ticket office (which is in Les Eyzies near the cave itself) at the start of the day and hope to be there before all that day's tickets are sold. The ticket office opens at 9.30 but people may arrive before then and queue in anticipation, at least in high season. Good luck!

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,583 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: reservations for the caves of Les Eyzies-de-Tayac

We had a similar problem while in France last September. Even the tourist office couldn't obtain tickets online. We took a chance and queued. We found the queues were shorter between 12.30 - 2.00 as most of the tours were having lunch!

dwr
thornhill, ontario
Level Contributor
248 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: reservations for the caves of Les Eyzies-de-Tayac

help!! I emailed to the museum website and have reservations for october. they say i need to pay by the beginning of october or loose the reservation. i called both of the numbers above and only got a recording and then it hung up. (tried at 4 different times). i looked at the reservation they sent and there does not seem to be a secure website to send it through. can some one tell me how they paid for their tickets, what i might be doing wrong and how to procede. thanks for your help.

7. Re: reservations for the caves of Les Eyzies-de-Tayac

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 21:42