We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Domme

Anderson, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Domme

Is Domme a good base for Dordogne? We are interested in beautiful villages, wine and the prehistoric caves.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
89,108 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Domme

I would prefer Sarlat-la-Caneda, as it larger with a better selection of shops and restaurants, but Domme is in a good position too.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,958 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Domme

Another vote for Sarlat -- the view from Domme is stunning, but it's not as well-located and has far fewer amenities than Sarlat.

(I'm descended from several generations of folk from Anderson!)

Anderson, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Domme

That is amazing that you had relatives in Anderson, IN. My husband works at Anderson University which why we are located here, so we didn't grow up here. We were transplants from Santa Cruz and San Jose California.

The reason I was thinking of staying at Domme was that if it is crowded during the day it would thin out night and morning for an atmospheric stay. I here you views on Sarlat. I think Rick Steves agrees with you. I was also considering neighboring villages. We don't care for big town. We will now consider Sarlat. Thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
89,108 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Domme

Sarlat is not a big town, and the day-trippers go by late afternoon. It has a small indoor market very morning, and a large market taking up most of the town centre on Wednesday and Saturday.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,958 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Domme

Sarlat is all of 10,000 people, give or take -- considerably smaller than Anderson (good heavens I didn't realize it was 50K by now...) There really aren't any big towns in the region.

Now to find out how you can bring me a tenderloin sandwich...

Anderson, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Domme

Sunshine, the auto industry pretty much closed in this area. We still have a lot of GM retirees. Because Anderson is known in the manufacturing world as a union labor town, it is hard to attract manufacturing business. We did get a Nestles plant. Do you have a favorite sandwich place. Frazier and Lemon Drop are still open.

Sydney, That does sound very good. I am reconsidering. Thanks.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,958 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Domme

Unfortunately, it's been a very long time since I've been back, and I can't remember the names -- but midwest breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches are sooo very good.

Canada
Level Contributor
732 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Domme

Domme has nice views, but check if you stay there on a market day. The roads are very narrow and there can be quite a bit of cars.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Domme

Like you, I prefer a smaller village. Sarlat is beautiful, but it can be incredibly busy, and difficult to get in and out of for daytrips. Domme is only a few kms away, and is also very pretty. But you could also investigate St Cyprien, Monpazier, Tremolat or Les Eyzies. In this area, nothing is more than an hour's drive away, in terms of wineries, caves, chateaux & good restaurants!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,958 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Domme

It all depends on when you're going to be there, too -- Sarlat is pretty easy outside of July and August, even on market days.

St Cyprien or Les Eyzies would be the better choices -- Tremolat and Monpazier are a bit remote from the most-popular sites.