We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gite owners can swindle you

Castillonnes
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Gite owners can swindle you

We stayed in a gite last year where we suffered an extensive injury caused by a dangerous low beam. The British owner said tshe had no objection if we moved to a more suitable place and they would refund the rent we had paid in advance. After a few days we got an abusive email from the owners husband refusing to send the refund,about2000GBP.. This man also accused us blocking the lavatory and stole our deposit 500GBP.

All I can warn people is be very careful Some of the gite owners are rogues. For further details Google The gite from hell.

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gite owners can swindle you

Well for us to avoid being "swindled" would you like to give us a link to the actual gite?

2. Re: Gite owners can swindle you

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 November 2015, 15:53
Edited: 24 November 2015, 15:53
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,503 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gite owners can swindle you

>>> The poster from Castillonès is presumably the one poster who didn't rate it either 'Very Good' or 'Excellent'. <<<

He/she is indeed. That and this post are the OP's sole contributions to date.

>>> I'm not sure why the issue is being revived now <<<

A vendetta being pursued?

Edited: 23 June 2012, 18:55
4. Re: Gite owners can swindle you

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 November 2015, 15:54
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,168 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gite owners can swindle you

Hmm. And so traumatized that it took a year to get around to posting a review, and not a single word about medical treatment, insurance, or legal action....just a breathless rant.

Castillonnes
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gite owners can swindle you

First post on Tripadvisor on 21June 2011 covering hospital treatment and major deficiencies at this place. Both owners who work at other jobs in UK not always there so place is "looked after" by cleaners etc.which may be some excuse for shoddy appearance.

If you had read the link given you would have been better informed.

We are still owed 2000GBP but the tax authorities in UK and France are a better avenue for address than the costly french legal system.

Castillonnes
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gite owners can swindle you

A timely warning to others considering going to the Eymet area

I am still owed 2000 GBP and will not be stopping actively pursuing this money.

We accepted the owners offer of reimbursement in good faith and their renegging left a sour taste in my mouth as it would in yours I would imagine

8. Re: Gite owners can swindle you

Removed on: 24 November 2015, 15:54
Middlesbrough
Level Contributor
169 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gite owners can swindle you

I am always very wary of Trip Advisor reviews especially when the majority of reviews for a place are people's first and only reviews!

This may be a great place but around 20 reviews, all first timers, is a bit suspicious to me.

Castillonnes
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gite owners can swindle you

You are quite wrong Diz

. We left the gite as the owner(in this case the wife) was concerned that we would sustain even more injury if we stayed .It was her encouragement that we found alternative accommodation and she even took us to another gite which was not suitable as it was too far away from our friends. Had we even suspected that we would not be reimbursed we would not have left with 2000GBP accommodation paid for but not used..I repeat, the wife promised reimbursement but in the husbands email he stated that the wife did not have the" authority" to offer a reimbursement. Incidentally the only other guest we saw there was a blind woman with a white stick being pulled around by a dog.In view of the blindness of the husband owner we thought this might be a holiday camp endorsed by St Dunstans.