We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very Confused - Sorry so Long

New York, NY
Level Contributor
117 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Very Confused - Sorry so Long

I have looked at several guide books and countless websites, but am still confused.

Proposed trip dates mid-to late May 2013 – is this when most plants/trees will be in bloom?

Time in Dordogne – 8-10 days

Coming from the US it seems best to fly into Bordeaux (connecting at Orly) – At least I cannot find flights coming into the smaller airports this far in advance. Not an issue as day or so in Bordeaux might be fine.

Need IN town/village hotel or rental WITH outdoor space (garden, terrace, balcony). Price is not much of an issue (I am admittedly picky – and hence need to pay accordingly).

We are two adults 50/60. No mobility problems, but not

marathoners or rock climbers either. Must be in walking distance (1/2 mile or so) of several restaurants/cafes. They only need to be homey and authentic – not Michelin quality (although I would not object if they are!). Just looking for lovely scenery, good food and relaxation. Caves not a priority.

Places I have LOVED: Villa Lafabrègue just outside of the town center of Prades - (not a “beautiful village, but has appropriate services). La Maison des Consuls in Mirepoix, Hotel Tardiff in Bayeux. Other towns I enjoyed were Dinan, Fougeres, Honfleur. Could do without Carcassonne/Mt. Saint Michelle type places.

One place I have been focused on is Manoir de la Malartrie. Is it really walking distance to La Roque or anything you might want to walk to? Beynec has some nice rentals, but is it big enough to have a few cafes/restaurants? Everyone seems to agree that Sarlat is a good base, but I have not found accommodation that meets my walking distance AND outdoor requirement.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Toronto
Level Contributor
715 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Very Confused - Sorry so Long

The apartments at La Villa des Consuls in Sarlat meet your requirements regarding being in town and having lovely outside areas (large patios/balconies). Sarlat is a fantastic base with an amazing market, lovely pedestrian-only streets, easy walking and lots of restaurants.

villaconsuls.fr/appartements-sarlat-villacon…

We stayed here in the Montesquieu with 4 adults and 1 child for 10 nights and had a lovely stay.

La Boetie and Richelieu in particular are suitable for 2-4 persons and have huge private terraces.

Edited: 01 September 2012, 03:59
Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Very Confused - Sorry so Long

Check out St Emillion for the day you land at Bordeaux; it's fairly close and an easy highway ride - The Hostellerie de Plaisance there would fit your requirements - it is really lovely and the town is great hostellerie.plaisance@wanadoo.fr

Right on the outskirts of bordeaux in Bouliac is Hauterive Hotel St James (relais et Chateaux) -also lovely

Hotel les Glycines in Les Eyziesde Tayac is quite nice. Les Eyzies is not as large as Sarlat but there are restaurants/cafes that are good

Sarlat is a very good base for the area, and we find that Les Eyzies is also

jhgrady

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Very Confused - Sorry so Long

Another hotel that appears to fit your bill is Hotel L'Esplanade in Domme

New York, NY
Level Contributor
117 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Very Confused - Sorry so Long

Thanks for your time. I will look into all the suggestions.

My one concern about Sarlat is that it may be overly touristy. How would it compare to say Carcassonne? More or less touristy?

Many thanks

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
242 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Very Confused - Sorry so Long

Carcassonne Vielle Ville (the old town, the bit with the (in)famous castle) is straightforward touristville.

However, the new town on the other side of the river is a different kettle of fish - it's a good honest working town and all the more interesting for that.

Carcassonne and The Dordogne are very different experiences - and in both you really need to be more mobile than walking to make the most of them.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,982 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Very Confused - Sorry so Long

I agree with Geoff. Carcassonne Cité is a bit like a movie set. Whereas Sarlat is very much a living, thriving town with a medieval backdrop.

Sarlat is a town I love walking around and it has a fabulous market on Saturdays.

In Carcassone, the walls of the cité contain the town, whereas in Sarlat, the old buildings are there but are integrated into the new city (about 150 years ago or so - forgive me if i get the time lapse wrong) a new wide main street was knocked through the old part of Sarlat, destroying any of the medieval buildings that were in the way. This street is now pedestrianised for the most part and is broad and airy.

I personally think Sarlat would be nicer to stay in and the other towns better for visiting.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,277 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Very Confused - Sorry so Long

IN town and WITH outdoor space just ain't gonna happen in old cities in the countryside.

You can be IN town...or you be on the edge of town with outdoor space -- very much within walking distance of the centre of town, but not IN the centre of town.

You have to choose which one you want...but the two just don't coexist.

There are a number of rental properties on the ridge overlooking the centre of Sarlat -- these have outdoor terraces, lawns, etc....but they're not IN town, although it's only a few minutes' walk to get there.

Try the Sarlat tourism site -- they keep a very extensive listing with a secure server so you can book right through their site.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
148 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Very Confused - Sorry so Long

There alot of public holidays in May so it can get quite busy although I do think Sarlat is the best option given your criteria - search around on the booking sites (the UK ones are best as most owners advertise with them) and you will find something with a balcony or similar. I wouldn't stay at La Roque it's nice to visit for a morning but not enough facilties for a stay.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,277 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Very Confused - Sorry so Long

Yes -- at La Roque basics like coffee and milk become a hassle. (I love poking around la Roque....but between the traffic and lack of commerces other than cafes and tee-shirt shops, I don't think it would make a good base)

New York, NY
Level Contributor
117 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Very Confused - Sorry so Long

Many thanks to all. Apologies if IN town was misinterpreted. What I meant was a room or apartment with a balcony or such within walking distance to shops and restaurants (1/2 mile or so) so that we could partake in plenty of wine with dinner and walk/stumble home! Several of the above suggestions are promising.