We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Narrowing in on a home base

Phoenix
Level Contributor
22 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Narrowing in on a home base

I'm planning a 2 week stay in Dordogne for mid June of next year. I'll be travelling with my sister-in-law, 12 yr old niece and 6 yr old nephew (my brother may also join us for a week). I'm looking for a house to rent - I'm narrowing in on the area between Sarlat, Montignac and Le Bugue. These are all about 30min from each other. I'd like input on this -is this too restrictive? and any pros/cons for specific areas: Sarlat vs. Montignac vs. Le Bugue, etc.

Based on my research so far, we want to canoe down the Dordogne, and perhaps the Vezere, visit Domme, Castelnaud, Beynac, La Roque-Gageac, Les Eyzies & the caves, Montignac/Lescaux II.

We will also do day trips further afield - Rocamadour/Gouffre de Padirac, Brantome, Periguex, Hautefort, even St Emilion/Bordeuax.

With my niece and young nephew, the less time in the car the better. We will mix sightseeing day trips afield with lower key activities (I'm looking for houses with a pool). We'd also like a house within walking/kid biking distance to a village (simple restaurant/corner store). Appreciate any advice and input

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Narrowing in on a home base

Le Bugue is proably more central for where you want to visit, especially if you plan to do st Emillion area; but both are okay and near lots of places to see.. I am not familiar with renting in the area so I can't help there. Do you have a good planning map? That will probably impact your choice of place to stay The Michelin maps are very good I use the Yellow Map number 75 (1/200000 - 1cm:2km). It takes in pretty much the whole area you are looking at

jhgrady.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,173 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Narrowing in on a home base

We found Montignac to be a perfect base from which to explore all of the places you mention, as well as La Roque Christophe and Domme. You might find that St. Emilion and Bordeaux are a bit too far for a day trip. We had stayed in Bordeaux on a previous occasion and so did not visit from Montignac but another couple did and found it to be a very long day indeed. It took them 3 hrs. each way due to heavy traffic.

The river Vezere runs through Montignac and is very calm indeed at this spot. There are two separate places to hire a canoe. We rented a very nice gite within walking distance of the town. (Handy for buying fresh daily bread!) The owner lives on site and there are 4 gites altogether on the property known collectively as "Les Granges". We stayed in late September/early October 2011 and made good use of the swimming pool as it was hot even at that time of year.

Edited: 29 September 2012, 18:31
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
404 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Narrowing in on a home base

We are currently staying at a nice Gite in Les Eyzies and finding it a great location...plus good assortment of eating options in the village.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,961 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Narrowing in on a home base

and we've always preferred to be in or near Sarlat, simply because of the availabiltiy of shops and restaurants.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
404 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Narrowing in on a home base

Sunshine...that was where my number on e preference was but couldn't find accommodating that suited the family and budget. Off to see what we missed out on today!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,961 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Narrowing in on a home base

there is no shortage of lodgings for families in Sarlat -- take a look at the Sarlat office of tourism site for lots of offerings.

Phoenix
Level Contributor
22 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Narrowing in on a home base

Travelling buzz - please update after you visit Sarlat on whether it would be worth paying more to be located there. In my search across 4 different rental sites, there clearly is a premium for staying in Sarlat. I'd like some input on whether its worth it or not.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,961 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Narrowing in on a home base

It's not a big difference -- and yes, it's worth it to be close to the town, the market, the shops, and the scores of activities within an hour's drive.

Smaller villages mean that they'll basically roll up the sidewalks at night, leaving you very limited choices for much of anything.

(Sometimes I *choose* the isolation and cook...but sometimes it's nice to be nearer civilization!)

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
4,053 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Narrowing in on a home base

We are here in Sarlat now and it is significantly more expensive here, or it seems to be, than in other Dordogne towns and villages for eating and drinking out. That is probably because it is significantly more touristy.

This is our second time here and after three days of visiting 15 other towns and villages in the Dordogne from a base in Figeac (too far East for you perhaps) we are slightly disappointed in Sarlat. This was not helped by a 30 minute traffic snarl up coming into Sarlat from the South from Domme, supposedly because of major road works in Sarlat.

I think that I would go for somewhere else other than Sarlat, particularly for 2 weeks. Choose a village or town with a little more charm but one that still has facilities.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,961 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Narrowing in on a home base

You are the only person I have ever "spoken" with (in person or otherwise) who was disappointed by Sarlat.

That's not snark or attack...simply a statement.

Get answers to your questions about Dordogne