We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lascaux Reservations

Maine
Level Contributor
103 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Lascaux Reservations

I am driving from Amboise to Sarlat on a Friday in September. My hope was to do an English tour at Lascaux on our way. I emailed the semitour, but they said I would have to go to the ticket office once I arrived to see what time the tour was.

I don't want to miss this cave....did I do everything I could, or is there someone else I should email, or try again as the date gets closer? Thank you!

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lascaux Reservations

Just stop at the tourist office in Montignac. There are two lines for Lascaux tickets - one for same-day reservations and one for reservations for a later date. I've never taken one, but my recollection is that there are frequent English-language tours. If you're driving from Amboise, though, it will likely be fairly late in the day once you get there. Trying to contact Semitours again at a later date will not yield any results.

Maine
Level Contributor
103 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lascaux Reservations

Thank you. I will try and get their as soon as I possibly can.

Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lascaux Reservations

I am planning a visit on August 6th, and was able to make a telephone reservation for a party of seven for an English-speaking tour at 4:30 pm. The number from the US is 011 33 5 53 51 96 23 and in France it is 05 53 51 96 23. The reservationist spoke fluent English, confirmed the reservation and directed me to show up at the ticket office at the site (NOT in Montignac) 20 minutes before the tour to purchase and pick up the tickets. I am amazed at the quantity of inaccurate information on this subject that is available on the internet!

Maine
Level Contributor
103 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lascaux Reservations

I will try as the date gets closer.... I was thinking they only took phone reservations in July and August, but I've read so many conflicting things about it; I have no idea!

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lascaux Reservations

Growlerman:

<<I am amazed at the quantity of inaccurate information on this subject that is available on the internet!>>

Where exactly on the internet....the TA site or the Lascaux website?

I quote (translated) from the official Semitour leaflet under the heading "Renseignements"

"Open all year except in January. Everyday except Monday in February, March, November and December. April to October open every day. Ticket Office in the town centre of Montignac (near the tourist office) from April to the end of September."

"Guided visits are offered in several languages outside of the planned dates and timetable : French, English, German, Dutch, Spanish"

Note: This was taken from a handout, not anything on the internet.

Perhaps, Growlerman, you were able to arrange your tour because you had a small group.

By going to the tourist office to get your ticket, you can still choose which tour (in which language) you wish to book for.

People on this site reply in good faith to requests for information based on their own experiences.

If you are referring to inaccuracies on other internet sites, then we can't be held responsible for that.

Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lascaux Reservations

The TA site. I do not question the good faith of anyone posting on the site - only the accuracy of their information. If the poster had relied only on the advice of the destination expert, he/she would have missed the opportunity to easily assure the availability of telephone reservations for the tour of choice, without the need to make a physical visit at an inconvenient time, with the attendant risk of disappointment. Having now completed our visit, I can report that our tickets were ready for us to purchase at the appointed time, twenty minutes before the tour, at the ticket office at the site, and that the English-speaking guide gave a superlative tour of the exhibit. Well worth the effort to go there, especially knowing that there would be places for us on the tour we wished to book. In summary, I regard the TA site as an extremely helpful resource, but not one to replace one's own initiative, especially when the advice comes from a "destination expert" who has never taken the tour!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,378 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lascaux Reservations

Inconvenient time? Not really -- the ticket office is open all day.

If you were the expert, you'd also know that they close the onsite ticket office the beginning of September, and that, just as has been posted here, there is absolutely no reason to go to the trouble of making an international call, hoping there's an English speaker available, and locking yourself into a set tour time when you can just walk up to the desk in Montignac whenever you're in the mood and buy a ticket -- especially in the off-peak season in September.

Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lascaux Reservations

Sunshine:

<<If you were the expert, you'd also know that they close the onsite ticket office the beginning of September>>

Alas, as I am not THE expert, nor simply AN expert, I consulted the authoritative source, which says:

"Entre mi-septembre et mi-avril, la vente des billets se fait uniquement à l’entrée de la grotte."

As I said before, TA is a useful source of information, but it can also be confusing or flat out wrong. There is no substitute for using one's own head and checking information kindly provided by others before proceeding.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lascaux Reservations

For your information, Growlerman, your statement that I have never taken the tour is entirely false. Why would you make such a statement? I have taken the tour dozens of times.

The fact that you circumvented normal procedures doesn't suggest that everyone should. It's not inconvenient in the slightest to pick up tickets at the Tourist Office. If the staff at Lascaux wanted you to call them directly, they'd put that information out loud and clear. Likely your English-speaking pal just wanted to get you off the line asap.

Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lascaux Reservations

You yourself, StCirq, said that you had not taken the tour. I did not circumvent anything - I called the published information line and was directed to another number, which I posted, where my request was handled courteously and efficiently. The fact that you did not have the relevant information does not imply that I received it from the back door. And as we do not know what part of September is of interest to the inquirer, and as others posting here conflict with the official FAQ as to where tickets are sold in September, I am simply advising him or her, based on my own experience, to inquire more deeply. And that is the last I will have to say on the subject.