We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Artisan Dordogne

northern ireland
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Artisan Dordogne

Another question from me today folks! I will be spending a couple of nights in Montignac and a couple in Sarlat, and I would like to know any recommendations of artisan crafts people in the area - food as well as materials. I like to buy pressies and things directly from the people who make them, or at least things that are made in the area rather than chinese imports... what is really worth finding in the area in terms of arts, crafts, artisan food producers etc?

Also, all you dordogne experts, where are your favourite off the beaten track places to visit around these two towns? Thanks all.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,958 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Artisan Dordogne

go to the markets -- that's one of the best ways to find artisanal products

The entire area is off of the beaten path outside of tourist season -- wander and keep your eyes open for hand-painted signage announcing whatever's on offer.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Artisan Dordogne

When are you going? Many of the artisans stop working at the end of the summer. I have many favorite artisans, but I would be hard-pressed to even describe to you how to find them. One is in Trémolat and has a small atelier on the road into town as you arrive from the road that takes you by the cingle - I don't even think it's marked. Another is in Domme, but in an alleyway that runs off one of the little streets that cross the main route up the hill. Both are jewelry makers - really unique pieces (and inexpensive).

For food, there's a goat farmer who makes extraordinary cabécous and other cheeses high up on the plâteau above my house in St-Cirq, but again, it's totally unmarked and you'd never know it was there unless you really searched or saw all the goats. Same with the honeymaker who's up on the same plâteau. You could probably find the Rougié factory under the bridge over the Vézère between Le Bugue and Campagne; I'm guessing it's still there, but I get my foie gras from neighbors so haven't been for awhile. You could always visit the walnut mill in Ste-Nathalie.

But really, just go to the markets and look for signs by the roadsides.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,136 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Artisan Dordogne

There is a small village not far from Montignac called La Bachellerie. Just outside this village is The Bee Information Centre. It is only a small establishment but it is possible to buy individual jars of honey (of all different flavours) or a gift pack containing a selection of jars.

At the back of the shop there is a small exhibition showing the different stages of bees, hives and honey production. It is also possible to watch a video (ask for the English version) of a short film called "Cedrillon". It was made by 20th Century Fox on the premises and stars Drew Barrymore and Angela Lansbury.

You can taste the honey before you buy - it is delicious!

We visited in mid/late October.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Artisan Dordogne

Thought of some more:

There's a small home beer brewery on the right side of the road as you're heading into Limeuil from Le Bugue.

There's a glass blower in Limeuil, on the left as you're heading up the big hill.

There's a store on the left on the way into Le Bugue from Campagne, right near the entrance to the aquarium that sells local glass artisans' goods.

Meyrals, near St-Cyprien, is an artists' comunity with a number of ateliers.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,136 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Artisan Dordogne

By the time I popped downstairs to get the address from one of the many jars we bought, I was timed out for an edit of my reply....so here are the details:-

From Montignac, take the D67 towards Auriac du Perigord but turn off to the right on the D65 towards the village of La Bachellerie. "Les Abeilles du Perigord" is further on, on the left hand side, nearer to the village but not actually in it.

As I said, it is only a small place but you will know when you are near to it as you will see a meadow full of multicoloured flowers.

If you follow the directions above and arrive at the village of La Bachellerie, you would have gone too far.

The owner is Mr. Jacques Laugenie.

Edited: 02 September 2013, 23:02
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,958 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Artisan Dordogne

You could also buy/rent the movie starring Drew Barrymore and Anjelica Huston (not Angela Lansbury). The French title of Cendrillon translates to Cinderella -- the movie was called Ever After: A Cinderella Story, and was released in 1998. (and is a nice, if a bit fluffy, film). Plenty of filming in the Loire, too.

7. Re: Artisan Dordogne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2014, 05:20