We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sarlat or Montignac perhaps?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
863 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Sarlat or Montignac perhaps?

Hi there - we (me and my partner) are thinking of visiting the Dordogne, probably in mid September this year. Although we are likely to book a self-catering holiday rental, we prefer to eat dinner out in the evenings. I am therefore looking at holiday rentals close to towns and villages where we could walk into town for something to eat instead of having to drive. Preferably not a long hike in the dark either!

I've found a handful of places close to (or in) either Sarlat or Montignac and would welcome some advice on which of these two towns might be best and also for any other suggestions. We'd prefer to have more than one restaurant to choose from in a place.

We may fly to Bergerac, but we are also considering driving so proximity to an airport is not really important.

Suggestions and advice welcome.

Thank you in advance.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,904 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sarlat or Montignac perhaps?

We stayed in a gite in Montignac that was only a 5min. walk from the centre of town with a few different restaurants to choose from. We didn't want to eat out every night (especially after some long days sightseeing) and I suppose we split our meals 50/50 between eating out and eating in.

However, if you prefer to eat out every night and depending on how long you are staying in the area, you might find that Sarlat will have more restaurants for you to choose from.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
863 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sarlat or Montignac perhaps?

Hi Pamjo - that's helpful. I think for us we'd like the flexibility of having some options.

Tynemouth
Level Contributor
4,284 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sarlat or Montignac perhaps?

Hi Grecofan2. This is probably too late for you, but we have just returned from a fabulous week in the lovely little town of Montignac. This is the link to where we stayed and we thought it was wonderful:

http://www.lesgrangesmontignac.com/

It is a short stroll into town. We loved the character of the accommodation and spent much longer than expected just sitting around the pool and enjoying meals outdoors. It is the best equipped and cleanest holiday accommodation that we have ever stayed in. Montignac is fairly quiet in the evening, although there were always a reasonable selection of restaurants open. We visited Sarlat one day and it is lovely but much more touristy than Montignac. We were pleased we didn't stay there. In fact, we preferred the Vezere to the Dordogne altogether.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,904 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sarlat or Montignac perhaps?

B&PTynemouth: So glad to hear you enjoyed your stay in Montignac. Les Granges is where we stayed a couple of years ago and somewhere that I have recommended many times.

We visited during the first two weeks of October and the weather was beautiful. It seemed strange to be hot enough for an evening swim, to be able to eat grapes from the vines around the pool and also to gather the fallen walnuts from the trees near the pond! (all with David's permission of course!).

Perigueux, France
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sarlat or Montignac perhaps?

Depends what you want. Sarlat is geared more for tourists and is also a bit more expensive than Montignac. If you want to eat out in the evening then Sarlat is the batter choice as locals eat their main meal at midday and not the evening.

If you want to eat midday as we do, then Montignac has loads of places to eat on both sides of the river. You can even pop out to nearby villages to eat, St Leon springs to mind, about 6 kms away with three good restaurants. Montignac is also much more peaceful and driving is easier. There are loads of places quite local to visit.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,904 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sarlat or Montignac perhaps?

Fred B: <<Sarlat is the batter choice>>

Were you thinking about fish, calamari or pancakes??

Edited: 01 July 2014, 20:55
Perigueux, France
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sarlat or Montignac perhaps?

I think that we need an edit function here! I have lived here for 10 years non stop now and have not eaten batter in all those years!

Edited to say, there is an edit button now, but just on my last post, ust have been put there by this bottle of red :-)

Edited: 01 July 2014, 22:19
kle
Boston
Level Contributor
766 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sarlat or Montignac perhaps?

We loved Montignac and felt that there were enough options for a week stay. Keep in mind that you are likely to eat lunch out wherever you happen to be sight seeing. Also, if you stay in/near Montignac, I would also recommend eating at the Archambeay in nearby Thonac.

Tynemouth
Level Contributor
4,284 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sarlat or Montignac perhaps?

Pamjo - Since I got back from Montignac I have been searching through all my old posts trying to find the person who recommended Les Granges to me so that I could thank them. I haven't managed to find the original post but I am sure it must have been you. We thought it was wonderful. Just far enough out of the village to give it a rural feel but an easy stroll to fetch your croissants in the morning. The property is beautiful; so old and characterful with lovely honeysuckle etc growing round the doors. The gardens and field were lovely to sit in too. David and his wife were lovely and so helpful. We couldn't have chosen a better place. Thank you so much.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,904 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sarlat or Montignac perhaps?

B&Ptynemouth: you are very welcome and I'm so glad you had a good time.

Get answers to your questions about Dordogne
Recent Conversations