We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expensive Dordogne???

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Expensive Dordogne???

I'm planning a trip to France this summer and, since I'm traveling alone without a car, have been able to book reasonably priced transportation via train, taxi, bus......but I want to spend a few days in the Dordogne region and all transportation there is either non-existent or extremely expensive (1-day tours start at 250EU!!!!)....why is the Dordogne so much more expensive??....can anyone suggest a method of transportation I can use other than renting a car???

I'm afraid that if my only option is renting a car, i'll have to skip this region entirely......

Thanks so much for your help!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,933 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Expensive Dordogne???

This region is not at all well served by public transport. If you won't have a car I would skip this region.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Expensive Dordogne???

You'll have to skip it entirely, then. It's no more expensive than other regions that have chosen to provide public transport primarily for schoolchildren and local workers.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,016 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Expensive Dordogne???

Please look over to the right and read the item under 'Top Questions'.

Other than the railway line along the river, there is virtually nothing in the way of public transport of use to visitors. Even the most frequent bus route runs only three times a day. Other than at school times, most routes run only once or twice a week. Most villages have no buses at all.

You could hire a bike but the hills would possibly do you no good!

Edited: 28 February 2014, 17:16
Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,965 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Expensive Dordogne???

It would be a shame to miss this beautiful area because you don't want to rent a car. Driving in France, and in the Dordogne is a pleasure. I like driving in France a lot more than I like driving in the US. You can check www.autoeurope.com for rental cars in France.

Excideuil, France
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Expensive Dordogne???

Frankly, the lack of public transport is one of the delights of this area. I know that sounds perverse but it reflects the fact that it is generally unspoiled, has very little traffic even in the season compared to many other regions but still manages to delight us all year round. So if you can hire a car be prepared for being lonely on the road. Today we traveled for an hour across country and only saw a dozen cars and just three wagons.

Please do make an effort to visit this area. You will love Perigueux, the whole town of Sarlat is in fact a museum to the medieval period, pretty much all the countryside is glorious. All this and the Perigord food. Even if you are not into foie gras there are all manner of other dishes to delight. However, a friendly warning - beware the French entrecote (sometimes offered as steak - mostly very tough albeit tasty. Great for exercising the jaw.

Our weather can be damp but it is what makes this neck of the woods so green although the last couple of years have been a bit dry and brown come August.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
196 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Expensive Dordogne???

Consider renting a car!

We are travelling around France by car for most of the month of July and I have found the Dordogne to have the least costly accommodations of all the areas we are travelling to. The daily savings over say our stay in Provence or in Annecy would easily pay for renting a car and then some.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Expensive Dordogne???

Thanks, everyone, for your help! Still trying to decide.....

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,861 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Expensive Dordogne???

another vote to rent a car or postpone the trip until you can.

Beynac-et-Cazenac...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Expensive Dordogne???

If you stay in Beynac-et-Cazenac, you can walk to : Les Jardins de Marqueyssac (30mn), Le Chateau de Beynac and village, Le Chateau de Castelnaud and village (40mn), to canoe rental that drives you up stream to Vitrac, then canoe down to visit Domme, La Roque-Gageac, Castelnaud (half day).

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,965 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Expensive Dordogne???

Bkoerts, according to google maps the walk to Chateau Marqueyssac is over an hour. I suppose that someone could run it in 30 minutes, but that doesn't sound like much fun.

Get answers to your questions about Dordogne