We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip Calais to Dordogne

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip Calais to Dordogne

Hello, i am looking for any useful information that will help me plan my road trip with my wife and two children aged 7 and 13. We going for two weeks in August. Any suggestions on where to stay, visit and who is a good company to rent a property from. We would like to spend about a week or so in the Dordogne or surrounding area's. So far its a blank canvas so any suggestions would be welcomed.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip Calais to Dordogne

First of all, I suggest you look back at some of the trip reports and discussions pertaining to this area. What in particular are you hoping to see/do?

If you are driving down from Manchester to one of the ferry ports, you should also consider an overnight stop once you arrive in France as it is a very long drive on the other side of the channel.

The Dordogne (Perigord) is very popular and can get extremely busy in August. I can recommend a gite for self-catering if you send me a personal message but I cannot guarantee that it won't be booked already.

Edited: 11 March 2014, 23:16
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip Calais to Dordogne

That's one loooong (and dull if you stay on the motorway) drive. I agree you need to break it up. And it's already late to be booking a place in the Dordogne for August, so that canvas shouldn't remain blank for much longer. The place is absolutely jammed that time of year, to the point where the river near Beynac and La Roque-Gageac is literally wall-to-wall people and canoes and kayaks and it can take 40 minutes to drive from one end of town to another (you can walk through the main stretch of either village in 10 minutes or less).

At any rate, it would definitely be helpful to know why you chose this destination and what you want to do and see once there.

3. Re: Road trip Calais to Dordogne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2015, 04:19