We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip - Carcassone, Dordogne, Amboise.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Road Trip - Carcassone, Dordogne, Amboise.

Hi, we are planning an 8 day / 7 night road trip from Carcassonne to Dordogne and onto Amboise and we were hoping for some help.

We are Australian and this will be our first visit to this part of France. Our interests are history, scenery, wine and of course good food (not necessarily in that order). So our plan at this stage is an early flight into Toulouse on the 9/7/2014, grabbing a rental car and heading to Carcassonne. From there it's (1 night) Carcassonne, (3 nights) Dordogne, (3 nights) Amboise. We then fly out of Paris late on the 16/7/2014.

As I mentioned, this is our first trip to this area and we were really interested to see if anyone could suggest any alternatives, itineraries or scenic routes. We'd also love input on our length of stay in each place, suggestions on B&B or Boutique hotels, must see's or do's, restaurants, etc

Any & all help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Perigueux, France
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip - Carcassone, Dordogne, Amboise.

I see this so many times with Australian and US visitors, they try to "do" France. You will spend most of your few days looking out of the car windows. Even two weeks will not show you much of the Dordogne let alone soak up the ambiance and start understanding why so many people love it here.

When you get here I would suggest that you stop in one of the hundreds of small towns and you may have the time to see a small bit of it. B&Bs can be much more expensive than hotels, which are often in places where you might the time to look around something historical.

My post sounds very negative, but it is not meant like that, enjoy your trip.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip - Carcassone, Dordogne, Amboise.

I would actually skip Carcassonne. You'll see plenty of fortified castles in the Dordogne, none of them, to my knowledge, messed around with by Viollet-le-Duc (not that I mind his messing around, but I simply wouldn't drive all the way from Toulouse to Carcassonne simply to turn around and go back up to the Dordogne; nor would I spend a night in Carcassonne). I'd go straight to the Dordogne and spend at least 4 nights there. Two nights in Amboise would be sufficient for me, though if I had more time than you do I'd probably pick one base in the eastern Loire for 2 nights, and another in the western Loire for 2 nights.

Once you get to the Dordogne you're likely to be very sad you are merely passing through.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,880 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip - Carcassone, Dordogne, Amboise.

If you are starting in Toulouse, Carcassonne is just over an hour's drive. There are a lot of other interesting towns and villages in the vicinity and so Carcassonne is worth visiting, in my opinion. However, I agree with StCirq about not staying in Carcassonne overnight.

From Carcassonne, you could sweep north east at Conilhac-Corbieres and Lezignan-Corbieres (beautiful vineyards) travelling through the southern part of the Haute Languedoc National Park.

Altenatively, sweep south towards the vineyards of Fitou and then west to Montsegur, Foix etc.

Toulouse is a good starting point for a scenic drive in whichever direction you choose but with only 8 days for your trip, I think you should reconsider trying to see everything on your itinerary list in the time allowed.

Either the area around Carcassonne OR the Dordogne OR Amboise and the Loire but not all three.

Whichever you decide on, you will not be disappointed.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip - Carcassone, Dordogne, Amboise.

Thanks everyone, your advice as been really helpful. I've managed to convince everyone to take our time and spend longer a little longer in the Dordogne. Thanks again.

5. Re: Road Trip - Carcassone, Dordogne, Amboise.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2015, 08:17
Get answers to your questions about Dordogne