We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to drive at night?

ca
Level Contributor
263 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Safe to drive at night?

For our upcoming trip in a few weeks, I'm considering making two dinner reservations in towns outside where we're staying. If we don't wrap up dinner until 9:30pm, then we'd end up driving 20-25 minutes in the dark (after sunset at 9:30).

Is it generally safe to drive at night? I'm assuming there aren't many streetlights on the countryside "D" roads. Are there two lane routes on really narrow roads as well that we'd need to be cautious about? Any advice on what to expect driving at night in Dordogne would be great.

Thanks in advance

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,503 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe to drive at night?

Outside the towns, there is no street lighting. The roads are generally two-lane country roads of adequate width, but some are narrow and many are winding. Provided you drive to the conditions (and are sober), there is nothing dangerous.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,922 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe to drive at night?

Sober is the important issue, French rules are very strict. Don't drink more than one glass of wine or one beer with the meal and have a non-alcoholic aperitif.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,634 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe to drive at night?

The only reason I avoid it is because I have poor night time vision so driving at night stresses me a lot. I had to do it a couple of nights in the Dordogne last summer after two dinners at the restaurant too and apart from not liking it, I found it safe.

But, yes, no drinking and driving. The limit is 0,5 g of alcohol per liter of blood, which for most adult males is about 2 glasses with a meal. Being a petite female and knowing my own tolerance level, I don't even have a glass, just a sip with my main course, so adjust accordinly.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe to drive at night?

If there is no moon, it can be pitch black, as there is no street lighting except in towns, and the small roads are very curvy and can be hilly. Generally speaking, there are few cars on the roads, though. I enjoy driving at night, but it might not be for everyone. Just make sure you're totally sober and keep a keen eye out for wildlife.

Perigueux, France
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe to drive at night?

Is it safe to drive at night? Well one thing that I can tell you is that the thousands of us who live here manage without problems. The only dangers that I can think of is deer out and about on the roads.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe to drive at night?

Everything that has been said is correct. We do find, however, that most country roads although unlit have reflective striping of some kind that is amazingly effective. On the sometimes long (seemingly endless) private roads that access chambre d'hotes and gites, there is no striping. Often unpaved. But you will have no problem because you should be driving no more than 10km an hour tops on these.

As stressed, one does not drink and drive in France.

ca
Level Contributor
263 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe to drive at night?

Thanks everyone

8. Re: Safe to drive at night?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Dordogne
Recent Conversations