We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bordeaux and Sarlat area in 5 days

Boston...
4 posts
Save Topic
Bordeaux and Sarlat area in 5 days

I will be traveling to the Sarlat area with my 2 college-age children in late June. I know they would enjoy seeing the beaches near Bordeaux. I have never been to SW France so, have no idea what it reasonable as far as travel time, etc.

We will be coming from Paris and will have 7 nights 6 days to play with.

Does it make sense to take the TGV to Bordeaux, spend a few days in the Bordeaux area - including a day at the beach, then drive to spend 3 nights in the Sarlat area.

My questions are: will we be trying to cram too much in if we follow this itinerary?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you!!

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bordeaux and Sarlat area in 5 days

There are plenty of things to do and see in/near Bordeaux, but if the beaches are your primary interest, I'd just say that IMO they aren't particularly inspiring. Arcachon is nice, Cap Ferret is too, and the Dune du Pylat is quite a marvel, but it's not an area I would head to if I were a beach nut.

You might spend 2 nights in Bordeaux, with one of them along the coast. There's far more for young people to do that is likely to interest them in the Dordogne, not least of which is swimming at the beaches along the rivers and in small local lakes.

You can check drive times on www.viamichelin.com, and on paper maps of the area, which you will need once there in any case.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bordeaux and Sarlat area in 5 days

River beaches and sea/ocean beaches are, of course, quite different.

The beach at Biscarosse, for example, is a long expanse of sand and the surf there can be quite powerful - not something you would necessarily see in the Dordogne. Having said that, there are stretches of the Dordogne river where water rafting is something a lot of visitors enjoy.

<< I know they would enjoy seeing the beaches near Bordeaux>>

Compare the difference between the Atlantic Ocean and the river Dordogne. This might help you to decide.

In my opinion, a visit to the Dune du Pylat is a "must". The views across the Gironde estuary are spectacular and there isn't another experience quite like it in France. You could easily combine a visit to the Dune with a visit to both Arcachon and Biscarosse beaches, depending on how long you want to stay there.

Within your time frame of 7 nights, you would also have time to spend a few days in the Dordogne.

Bordeaux is roughly mid way between Biscarosse and Sarlat-le-Caneda.

We did the first part of this trip a few years ago.

From Bordeaux, the drive time to Arcachon (Dune du Pylat) is approximately 1.5 hours with another 45 minutes drive down the coast to Biscarosse.

When we stayed in the Dordogne two years ago, the couple in the neighbouring gite drove from Montignac to Bordeaux and it took them approximately 2.5 hours. .

Edited: 16 May 2014, 20:53
Perigueux, France
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bordeaux and Sarlat area in 5 days

I live near Montignac and it takes me 2 hours 30 mins to drive to the outskirts of Bordeaux. Then I spend another hour getting to where I want in Bordeaux. The Atlantic coast is a fair distance from the city.

If you want a beach then drive from Sarlat to Limeuil and enjoy the little beach on the river there, it is a very nice village to wander around while you are there.

Boston...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bordeaux and Sarlat area in 5 days

Thank you, this is very helpful information! So, I'm not trying to bite off too much, it seems.

Thank you!

Boston...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bordeaux and Sarlat area in 5 days

Thank you!

Waddesdon, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
489 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bordeaux and Sarlat area in 5 days

When are you going my wife and I are doing the very same thing train from uk to Bordeaux then staying there 3 nights going to Sarlat for 7 nights and hiring a car from the train station......can't wait

Perigueux, France
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bordeaux and Sarlat area in 5 days

Be aware that there is expected to be a strike by SNCF (French railways) in the 10th and 11th of June.

8. Re: Bordeaux and Sarlat area in 5 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2015, 07:17