We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canoeing route please

Cumbria, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Canoeing route please

Hi. We are are a family of four, with two teenagers, staying near Le Bugue at the beginning of July. We were wondering if anyone could recommend a half/full day canoeing route for us to try. We were hoping for a quiet-ish route, although I know at this time of year that's probably difficult!! We've looked at a route near Domme and La Roque-gageac which looks interesting.

We stayed further north a few years ago and canoed through Brantome which was lovely and surprisingly quiet away from the town. We are happy to try any river/area.

Many thanks

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,672 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canoeing route please

We have done both the Vezere and the Dordogne. We did the Vezere from above Les Eysies to Lemieul. First of all, not the Vezere. Boring.

I would go to one of the places just below Le Roque Gageac. They will then carry you up stream for as many hours as you want. The stretch from X to le Roque Gageac is full of chateaux and charming small villages. It is a wonderful stretch. We stopped at a riverside restaurant for lunch; we just pulled the canoe up on shore and took the paddles and life vests with us to our table. I can't remember where we put in, but the rental place will be able to advise given your time frame. They take you up stream and you then paddle back to their home base.

This was one of the most fun things we have done in France; the river is gorgeous. We did it during May when it was not crowded, but even when the river is filled with canoes, the beauty is the shore, so I think it would be wonderful regardless. You may need to reserve the canoes ahead in high season. there are several rentals just below le Roque Gageac (which is itself very picturesque from the water)

janettravels44

www.janettravels.wordpress.com

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canoeing route please

There's no quiet route in July unless you canoe on the Vézère, which is a bore. The Dordogne will be packed like a highway if it's a nice day. My favorite outfit is based in St-Vincent-de-Cosse, Canoë Roquegeoffre at Porte d'Envreaux, and I prefer the 6- or 8-kilometer run. They take you up to Vitrac or thereabouts and you canoe back. We always stop at Castelnaud for lunch and a swim.

Perigueux, France
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Canoeing route please

I would agree with StCirq, nowhere will be quiet, but the Dordogne will be horrible, bank to bank with coloured plastic canoes. The Vezere is much quieter in July, and in my opinion a much prettier river to journey down.

We did St Leon to Les Eyzies last Wednesday, that took 4 hours with a 30 minute sandwich break, it was wonderful.

As you are staying in Le Bugue why not start up river and canoe to Le Bugue.? When you drive the tourist route along the Dordogne you will see how crowded it is.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,954 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canoeing route please

We canoed both the Dordogne and the Vezere.

The Dordogne is more heavily-populated, runs slower, and has more beaches on which you can pull up for a picnic, and passes more spectacular castles.

The Vezere is pretty much untouched (there are some villages and chateaus, but not nearly as many as the D.), which leaves much more wildlife and quiet. It runs faster, and has steeper banks, making it a big more of a challenge to find a flat spot to pull over.

My crew preferred the Vezere.

Cumbria, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Canoeing route please

Thanks very much for your replies. Decisions, decisions, I think we might try a Vezere canoe at the start of our holiday, enjoy the quiet and wildlife. Then maybe have a look at the Dordogne and see how it compares.

Thanks very much again, I can't wait now!!

6. Re: Canoeing route please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2015, 06:17