We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Truffle hunting, cooking classes or truffle markets?

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
10 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Truffle hunting, cooking classes or truffle markets?

I'm wanting to go on a truffle hunt or in the very least to a truffle market. I also think cooking classes would be fun. Any ideas in the Dordogne/ perigord?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,954 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Truffle hunting, cooking classes or truffle markets?

Truffle markets won't be until January.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Truffle hunting, cooking classes or truffle markets?

You can't do anything authentic related to truffles until late December. You can buy them year round at the exceptionally pricey specialty stores, though.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
470 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Truffle hunting, cooking classes or truffle markets?

Sainte Alvere usually prides itself on having the first official truffle markets of the winter season - usually early December. But truffles are very weather-dependent, so it's impossible to say exactly which markets will open where or when. Sorges in the Perigord Blanc also has a large, well-known truffle market in January, and Sarlat in the Perigord Noir has a week-long truffle festival in early January. Other villages have their own truffle fetes, like Monpazier with its Truffes en Bastide, usually late December, depending on the harvest. In winter, you'll often find a local person at the weekly village markets with a handful that they have foraged for themselves from some secret spot, but you need to take the gamble that these are fresh & in good nick. In terms of a truffle 'hunt' - these visits to certain truffle groves are not so much a hunt as a short guided walk and demonstration with the trufficulteur's dog. A really enjoyable place to visit is Pechalifour in the hills behind St Cyprien, where you can have a guided visit in autumn and winter and have a tasting lunch afterwards. M. Aynaud is a very animated host! (but doesn't speak much English)

Edited: 18 August 2014, 05:48
England, United...
Level Contributor
3,780 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Truffle hunting, cooking classes or truffle markets?

Sorges, mentioned by rosemaryoz, is said to be the truffle capital of the Perigord, and there are signs all over the village claiming that. I will pass through Sorges again on Saturday on my way to Le Bugue. You will find more information, including truffle-related things, on this website:

www.sorges-perigord.com/…

The 'real' truffle season is in the Winter as others have mentioned. But this truffle producer in Sorge also offers guided visits/truffle hunts of the so-called 'white' truffles during the summer:

www.truffe-sorges.com/visites-initiations/

The guided visits are of varying durations and prices, and normally in French. Visits in English may be available by prior arrangement.

Edited: 18 August 2014, 12:13
Perigueux, France
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Truffle hunting, cooking classes or truffle markets?

I have found them in my garden in the past. As we don't eat them I give them away to local restaurants and don't dig in that place again.

Now Girolle mushrooms are different, I know where they grow around my house/land and harvest regularly.

6. Re: Truffle hunting, cooking classes or truffle markets?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2015, 06:17