We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dorgdogne to UK flights

Which Bergerac hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Dorgdogne to UK flights

We are staying in Beynac for a week to discover this interesting region and want to leave from a local airport to fly to Bristol or one of the southern UK airports in mid Sept 2009 to be close to Cornwall/Devon & Sommerset. I see there are several cheap flights available and I need to know if they are reliable (time wise) to use their services. One is on Easyjet or Ryan Air or Flybe. Can anyone who has used any of these flights give me some idea please before I start to make a booking?

Are there any pitfalls to be aware of?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,856 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dorgdogne to UK flights

With all cheap European airlines, look closely at their web site to check on baggage limits. Many restrict checked bags ("hold baggage") to 20 kg plus only one small carry-on, with very high charges for excess baggage. The baggage limits mean exactly what they say.

Secondly, check how long before departure you have to check in. "At least 30 minutes before departure" means exactly that: arrive one minute later, and that's it.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,220 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dorgdogne to UK flights

They do have a bit of a reputation for changing flight times, some more than others, and they charge extras for everything, from a drink on the plane to paying by credit card. They also often fly into smaller airports and you need to see how that fits with your plans.

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,896 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dorgdogne to UK flights

Ryanair restrict passengers to 15kg checked luggage, plus 5kg handheld and are VERY strict about charging you for any extra. Their scales are excessively "sensitive" and often find 250grammes that your scales at home didn't find. They WILL charge you for the extra weight(£14 per kg or part thereof). They will also charge an exorbidant amout for booking using your credit card (£4.75 per person per flight), and checking in luggage (£19 per bag)

Once they have added all those fares onto the price of your ticket the £10 fare is looking a bit hefty, then they play a really nasty trick on you. They will not charge your credit card in the currency you purchased in (pound or euros) but do a currency exchange at a rate they have made up (about 10% less favourable to you than you could get at a bank) and tell your card provider the new amount in your card's currency.

having said that, the planes usually arrive on time (because they add about a 30% margin of error onto the flight times), but in-flight service is non-existant, you have to put up with very loud adverts and the usual budget airline scramble for seats.

Easyjet are better (or were last time I used them) in that you don't feel quite so abused by the time you board your flight. Flybe are OK - haven't flown them for ages, but they used to be more like a real airline.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dorgdogne to UK flights

Thank you for sharing your advice re the cheap fares from Dordogne region to the UK - and the pitfalls. I'm now more alert to what to watch for and have eliminated an airline.

I see that Easyjet goes from Bordeaux to Bristol at a time that suits my plans and this is the way I think I will go.

Any advice on best contact to get online tickets for this airline and what to be aware of?

Thanks again for sharing your experience with me.

London, United...
Level Contributor
292 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dorgdogne to UK flights

The thing wit no frills airline is that they're designed to get you from A to B. Certianly Easyjet haved fr CC transactions when you book on line, but the website does tell you this just before payment, and youre better off paying by DC.

Wth the Easyjet site you can also pay for any excess luggage on line, though you wont get any refunds you then find you bag is lighter than you thought when you paid for the excess.

Not sure about the Ryanair site.

On baord its Ok, but again you will pay for snacks and drinks.

With flight times changing, I'd just double check the flight a couple of weeks give or take before you leave. I've never had a problem with this.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dorgdogne to UK flights

Thank you for your advice. I plan to book on Easyjet as it seems to be going to the place I want to be near to ie Bordeaux to Bristol.

You mention fr CC transactions & later DC are you referring to credit card & direct credit transactions for booking online?

I realise that the cheap flights have no frills but heh if your on a plane for approx 1 hour you wont starve or dehydrate so I think it is a good way to go if it gets you to where you want to be.

Have you travelled on Easyjet? I see they can take 20kg in checked hold luggage which sounds fine to me. Do you get a seat allocated or is it first on get the best seats? Do they overbook their flights?

Cheers & thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,220 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dorgdogne to UK flights

DC is debit card.

London, United...
Level Contributor
292 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dorgdogne to UK flights

Easyjet is free seating but just watch the scrum when they announce boarding.itamazing how many people want to be first in. Stand back and you'll be OK.

Don't be too set on sitting together tho, be prepared to sit across from each other, aisle in between you, one sitting behind the other that sort of thing.

havin said all theat the last Easyjet took was pretty much a perfect flight. Hardly felt the runway at all on landing.

Kentisbeare, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dorgdogne to UK flights

Flybe fly from Exeter to Bergerac.

Book online - cheaper than phone bookings

Be careful when booking online of the "optional extras" - the website will add in checked in baggage in the booking process and you have to remove it if you do not want it (otherwise you will get charged). To obtain the 20kg hold luggage allowance the online baggage charge is £7.99 per bag per flight. If you pay for baggage on departure it is more at £13.00 per bag per flight.

Pre booking seats is another "optional extra", you dont have to pay for a seat - will be assigned seat at check in (unlike easyjet)

Travel Insurance - also added in the booking (remove if you do not want this!)

Hand baggage is free and 10kg, 1 piece permitted on the aircraft.

Debit card charges - £1.50 per passenger per flight

Credit card charges - £3.50 per passenger per flight

If you book early with Flybe and can do without all the extras you can get a reasonable cost ticket.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dorgdogne to UK flights

Also FYI, a good site is http://www.bookingbuddy.co.uk which you can enter your dates once and then search the best flight sites in Europe and compare prices