We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Lourdes

Which Pau hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
214 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from Lourdes

My mom and I will be staying in Lourdes for four days and would like to take a day trip. I was thinking of Pax, Toulouse, Bordeaux or Biarritz. I just did some reading on this beach town and it sounds lovely. Plus, it looks like it has some great shopping areas, which I am looking for however the cheapest train ride requires 2 changes and is over 4 hours. : (. S, of the above choices, is there another alternative or any other places that you can recommend visiting for the day? Thanks.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,695 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Lourdes

Biarritz is a lovely seaport , Toulouse is pretty "in pink" with an interesting city lots to see, same with Bordeaux which has great shopping in side the Golden Triangle, you can also do Carcassonne. Keep in mind that it is about 2.5 hours each way to these cities and that is gong to be a long day.

On your other thread about taking the train to Nice with a change in Toulouse, you could use that opportunity to see Toulouse and maybe spend a night there.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,530 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Lourdes

Lourdes is a long way from anywhere! Toulouse is 2 hours or so by train, Carcassonne at least 3 hours, Bayonne also around 2 hours (there are buses from there to Biarritz, which is often quicker than waiting for another train and also Biarritz station is a long way from the town and beach) Bordeaux is 2hrs 30mins - 3 hours and an early start is needed as there is a gap of 3 hours between trains in the mornings.

Pau is not far, only about 30 minutes. Nice castle there.

Trains are not at all frequent, one every two hours at best, so some careful planning and attention is needed to get the best out of a trip and to avoid being stranded at the end of the day.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,695 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Lourdes

How are you getting to Lourdes? May I suggest doing Toulouse or Bordeaux before going to Lourdes, makes more sense that way. We normally land in France through Toulouse and spend a night or two there before going to Lourdes. That way you can see and really explore the city.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
7,959 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from Lourdes

I usually travel through Biarritz to Lourdes it is best to do an early morning run from Lourdes To Biarritz first train out and return on the 6pm approx. time that gives you over 7 hours in Biarritz. If you arrive in Bayonne hop a taxi to Biarritz not that expensive but Bayonne is a nice city to wander around up at the market area and some lovely cafes along the river.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
214 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from Lourdes

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I will take your advice when organizing my travels.

6. Re: Day trip from Lourdes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2014, 17:16
Get answers to your questions about Pau