We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday near Clermont Ferrand

ireland
8 posts
Save Topic
Holiday near Clermont Ferrand

We have 2 sons, ages 15 and 11and plan to be in this area from 5-12 of July 2014 while my husband is working in Clermont Ferrand. As I will not have a car during the day, we are looking for either a campsite or town with plenty of activities within an hour commute of Clermont Ferrand please. My main concern is that we will be there while the French children are still at school so some of the tourist attractions may not be open. Thank you

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday near Clermont Ferrand

I don't understand the connection between tourist sites being open and French children still being in school. Besides, they get out for vacation on the 6th in Zone A...

If you google Clermont-Ferrand campgrounds you will find plenty of information. Same if you google the official tourist office of C-F. Or you could simply stay in C-F itself.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,272 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday near Clermont Ferrand

I can't help you with campsites unfortunately. Neither Eurocamp nor Les Castels have any sites close to Clermont.

However please do not worry about things being open. We've been travelling to France in June and July for a long time and never had any problems. Many Irish head off to France as soon as the secondary schools close in June.

If you are in Clermont, you might allow yourself take a few days to drive down to the Dordogne Region once hubby has finished work. It is spectacularly beautiful.

ireland
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday near Clermont Ferrand

Sorry, that was not very clear. A few years ago we visited a lovely town in Languedoc region, the public swimming pool wasn't open on certain days during school term. Thank you for your advice.

ireland
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday near Clermont Ferrand

Thank you for your advice, the Dordogne is beautiful but we heading to the waves on the south west coast for the second week!

Washington state
Level Contributor
681 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday near Clermont Ferrand

I can't give advice based on experience, but since I will also be visiting that area of the Auverne in July I've already done a fair bit of research. So what comes to mind is to suggest that you rent a car for at least two of the days and go exploring. There are so very many interesting sites--geologic, recreational, historic--in the near vicinity that it would be a shame to just be in the city or the rail lines.

Edited: 06 May 2014, 06:14
ireland
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday near Clermont Ferrand

Thank you

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holiday near Clermont Ferrand

How about the area around the volcanic region of Le Puy de Dome?

www.auvergne-tourism.com

They might enjoy Vulcania (a leisure park where they can learn everything about volcanoes, including a simulated volcano eruption experience and a simulated meteorite crash).

I quote: <<Vulcania is an outstanding site unique of its kind in Europe, where visitors can discover volcanoes at first hand. A visit to the park brings you closer to nature, enabling young and old alike to appreciate the sheer size and mystery of the volcanoes, but also to enjoy some breathtaking attractions as they experience volcanic force in real life>>

<<Our tourist service providers offer a wide range of accommodation possibilities including: hotels, gîtes, furnished accommodation, campsites, tourist apartment complexes, B&Bs or holiday villages, all at affordable prices>>

OR

L'aventure Michelin

Michelin and the "Michelin man" (known affectionately as Bibendum in France) is far more than just a brand of tyres. For the French people and above all for those in the Auvergne, Michelin is a constant source of pride.

a museum was recently opened in Clermont-Ferrand: L’aventure Michelin (The Michelin Adventure). Among its collections you will find examples of all of Michelin's products since 1889, including an electric car dating from 1899 or aircraft from the First World War, etc. You can discover the various stages involved in tyre production and learn more about the history of the company's famous mascot, Bibendum, the "Michelin man".

All information panels, slide shows and games during the visit are in English, in addition to the audio guide.

8. Re: Holiday near Clermont Ferrand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2017, 12:17