We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stopping off points between Calais and Quimper

Kent,England
Level Contributor
141 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Stopping off points between Calais and Quimper

We will be making our first trip to Brittany in July and driving from Calais to Quimper looks like a mini marathon (especially with a 4 month grandchild). Can anyone suggest a good place or places to break up the journey? Where we can freshen up and buy some supplies for when we arrive.One more related question while on, is it a decent drive ? Any nice scenery on the way?

Merci beaucoup.

Mentioned in this post
Calais
Calais
Pas-de-Calais, France
Quimper
Quimper
Finistere, France
Essex
Level Contributor
30,030 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stopping off points between Calais and Quimper

If you are travelling predominantly autoroute, I would not exactly call this a scenic drive. However, the 'service stations' on the French Motorways are fabulous - nothing like the UK ones, so as far as places to stop, eat a decent meal, stretch your legs and freshen up are concerned, you will have no worries.

For 'supplies' I'd be inclined to stop at a hypermarket near Calais and get the bulk of your stuff there.

It's a helluva drive with a young-un in tow, I see that you live in Kent, so of course, Dover-Calais is easy for you. Have you considered doing a shorter drive in the UK though and then crossing to Cherbourg, Caen, St Malo or even Roscoff, rather than flogging your way all across Northern France??

if you look at viamichelin.com you can use it to help you plot up some routes and find out potential travel times.

Mentioned in this post
Calais
Calais
Pas-de-Calais, France
Kent
Kent
England, UK
Dover
Dover
Kent, UK
Caen
Caen
Calvados, France
Saint-Malo
Saint-Malo
Ille-et-Vilaine, France
Roscoff
Roscoff
Finistere, France
France
France
Europe
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stopping off points between Calais and Quimper

Calais to Quimper is about 500 miles and should take about 7 - 8 hours driving using the main, and direct, roads.

There are about 200 miles of toll roads that will add to your costs.

Going by 'scenic' roads will possibly be cheaper but, of course, will add a great deal to your driving time.

Somewhere to stop - try the small town of Troarn, just off the A13(E46) a few miles before you get to Caen and halfway through your journey, as they have restaurants, cafes, bars and shops.

Mentioned in this post
Calais
Calais
Pas-de-Calais, France
Quimper
Quimper
Finistere, France
Caen
Caen
Calvados, France
New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stopping off points between Calais and Quimper

Hi RevBimbo !! We have driven most of this route. We like staying over in the Normandy area or near Dinard/ St Malo. a lot of history, markets, things to do. Enjoy the drive !! Honfleeur would be a nice stop.

I have put in a link for viamichelin, good road maps and scenic driving routes.

viamichelin.co.uk/viamichelin/…

Mentioned in this post
Dinard
Dinard
Ille-et-Vilaine, France
Saint-Malo
Saint-Malo
Ille-et-Vilaine, France
Kent,England
Level Contributor
141 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Stopping off points between Calais and Quimper

Many thanks guys for your suggestions. Essexwanderer, I've looked into the Brittany Ferry option and the costs really stack up, we'll be taking two cars and they want about £315 each car for the crossing. My son in law can get us over on Norfolk Line for about £8 per head from Dover (so he reckons)so going to try that and stick with the overland trek across N France. I'm comparing the journey to that of a trip to Cornwall so I suppose it's not too bad.Looked on the viamichelin site,very useful, thanks a lot to our US friend. Just also booked a week at Beuvron-En-Auge in Calvados region of Normandy (our 2nd week after Quimper).Should be good apart from the stops for nappy changes.

Mentioned in this post
Norfolk
Norfolk
East Anglia, UK
Dover
Dover
Kent, UK
France
France
Europe
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Calvados
Calvados
Basse-Normandie, France
Quimper
Quimper
Finistere, France
New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stopping off points between Calais and Quimper

Thanks, Any time for a Brit !!!!!

Surrey Hills
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Stopping off points between Calais and Quimper

I have just been reading the posts for Brittany and thought I'd add my comments if it's not too late. We've done the drive a few times now from the tunnel and it is a bit of a marathon especially with younger kids, although hopefully your little one will be asleep for most of it!

We have not found many large service stations between Calais and Quimper; mostly they are small petrol stations or 'aires' which are service areas with toilets(hole in the ground-style) and if you're lucky, some shade.Be prepared to take loo roll and handwash with you! There's a decent service area at Aire de Baie de la Somme, where you can have something to eat and drink looking out over the marshes. A good place to stratch your legs. The best service area we've found is at Mont St Michel, which is a good place to break your journey. It's not huge but it does have proper toilets and a restaurant.

We have found that it's best to get past Caen before lunchtime if poss as the queues at the tolls back up and we've sat in a very hot car hardly moving to get through them.

There are several large hypermarkets around Quimper (E Leclerc and Carrefour) which I think stay open till about 8pm on a Saturday so you could get supplies on arrival. You can check online at www.e-leclerc.com or www.carrefour.fr. Unfortunately they're not open Sundays. Saves your shopping overheating in the car!

Not sure which way you're going but the Pont de Normandie is quite spectacular, and they have a rest area. You can walk up onto the bridge for a fantastic view over the river. You could go into Honfleur for a proper meal.

Hope you have a lovely trip.

Mentioned in this post
Pont de Normandie
Pont de Normandie
1,708 Reviews
Honfleur, France
Calais
Calais
Pas-de-Calais, France
Quimper
Quimper
Finistere, France
Somme
Somme
Hauts-de-France, France
Caen
Caen
Calvados, France
Honfleur
Honfleur
Calvados, France
Hotel Saint-Michel
Hotel Saint-Michel
335 Reviews
Dinard, France
Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
93 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stopping off points between Calais and Quimper

Hi,

Drove back from Dinan to Calais yesterday. Five hours (including quick 'stretch' stops, all fast, and mostly empty motorways. Just followed the satnav! For Quimper, add another two hours.

On the outbound journey last week, we stopped at the giant Carrefour to stock up just of the motorway in Caen. This obviously adds time to the journey.

Mentioned in this post
Dinan
Dinan
Cotes-d'Armor, France
Calais
Calais
Pas-de-Calais, France
Quimper
Quimper
Finistere, France
Caen
Caen
Calvados, France
8. Re: Stopping off points between Calais and Quimper

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 15:16