We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Brittany in Mid March a mistake?

MIAMI, FLORIDA
Level Contributor
2 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Is Brittany in Mid March a mistake?

I am planning a trip in mid March to explore Brittany. I have been told a range of things about the weather during that time of year. I am asking you, my experts at Tripadvisor, to tell me if I should be visiting elsewhere.

A little rain would not bother me, but "wretched winds, cold and freezing rain", would.

Thank you in advance.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,734 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Brittany in Mid March a mistake?

Taking a trip to Brittany in March would depend entirely upon your travel objectives. If you have some specific reason for going there then why not? If on the other hand you simply want to visit the area in general, I should wait until at least May.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,958 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Brittany in Mid March a mistake?

It's not a guarantee, but "wretched winds, cold, and freezing rain" is a lot more likely than "a little rain".

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Brittany in Mid March a mistake?

I'm pretty familiar with the weather in the west of Ireland which is very similar to Brittany as far as climate is concerned, especially in the colder months. March is one of the windiest months in northern Europe, especially along the Atlantic coast. I'd say you have a one-in-three chance of high winds and at least a 50/50 shot of rain or fog. Mild and/or sunny weather would definitely be the exception. Somebody accustomed to south Florida sunshine and temperatures would probably find Brittany in March a serious shock to the system.

OTOH I happen to love rocky coasts in wild and stormy weather, but not everybody shares that attitude...

If you want a more objective idea of what the weather might be like go to www.wunderground.com/tripplanner/index.asp and plug in your dates and a city in Brittany (Brest?) and you'll get a rundown of the last few years for those dates.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,958 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Brittany in Mid March a mistake?

I like rocky coasts in stormy weather, too, IrishRovr -- but in cold weather, only if I have a roaring fire (in a fireplace, please), a steaming mug of caffeine-based beverage, and a good book on my side of a thick glass window!

Washington state
Level Contributor
685 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Brittany in Mid March a mistake?

On our trip to Bretagne a few years ago we had lots of rain, wind, and faily cool temps...and that was at the end of June! We were on the north coast though, which I believe gets wilder and somewhat cooler weather. Had a good time though, but a little more sun would have made it moreso.

MIAMI, FLORIDA
Level Contributor
2 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Brittany in Mid March a mistake?

Thanks to all who responded to my plea! I think that I will save my exploration of Brittany for late spring.

I knew I could count on receiving sage advice from you!

Thank you again.

7. Re: Is Brittany in Mid March a mistake?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2011, 05:20