We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Exploring Dinan and its environs in Brittany

Paris, France
Level Contributor
10,977 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Exploring Dinan and its environs in Brittany

I just spent 5 days in Brittany in the area near Dinan and I've written a little (OK, long) report about exploring that area. I've written the report in a manner that is meant to provide useful information to anyone who is interested in exploring this region and it's full of reference and research material that you can use to plan a vacation in that area and let you know the multitude of places you can visit and things you can do. In addition to Dinan from my home base in the coastal town of Erquy I explored Dinard, Cap Fréhel and Fort-la-Latte, the Cap d'Erquy, Tréguier and several unknown towns and villages that have the official designation of Petite Cité de Caractère, Ville d'Art et d'Histoire and Commune du Patrimoine Rural. Of course you'll see the usual multitude of anonymous tiny country villages and hamlets I love to explore plus lots of scenic coastal and country drives. I'll also recount various myths, legends, anecdotes and local customs and traditions that make Breton culture so rich and interesting. Click on the link to begin your exploration.

http://tinyurl.com/86s4v8f

MD
Level Contributor
694 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Exploring Dinan and its environs in Brittany

This is terrific (as usual). You two manage to find so many interesting places and see so much while you are there. I should be working, so I'll stop now and come back a little later to add some comments.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,643 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Exploring Dinan and its environs in Brittany

Very nice photos and report. It is definitely Pléhérel Plage, by the way, too (we stayed there on our last Bretagne holiday!)

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Exploring Dinan and its environs in Brittany

Hi there

Thank you French Mystique. Only drawback, it is now added to my evergrowing list of things to see/do in France. At this rate, I should just move there.

Kind Regards

Merran

Paris, France
Level Contributor
10,977 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Exploring Dinan and its environs in Brittany

Cloverdale - Thanks once again for reading. I knew you'd like it.

Riostar - I know you're a big fan of that area and that you love Dinan. Hopefully I've given you a few new places to explore next tie you go there. Then again, maybe you've already seen these places.

Merran - I'll always be writing more reports so your list of places to see in France is going to keep growing. :)

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Exploring Dinan and its environs in Brittany

I have enjoyed reading your report and looking at the pictures. You had some amazing weather.....much better than we did in September. And the benefit of fewer tourists.

Was that mistletoe growing on the trees on the drive leading to Château de la Hunaudaye?

And all those delightful small villages that don't merit a mention in the guide books....

Paris, France
Level Contributor
10,977 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - Exploring Dinan and its environs in Brittany

EESW - Despite the last day being rainy and the second to last being mixed we were indeed unbelievably lucky with the weather, especially for that time of year.

Yes, that was mistletoe. Actually mistletoe is a parasitic species and a pest and is quite common here. You'll see it everywhere.

Ah, the small unknown villages. Now you know why I plan most of my vacations with the Michelin maps and tourist office websites. Guidebooks are great and useful, especially for visitors, but they have their limitations.

MD
Level Contributor
694 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - Exploring Dinan and its environs in Brittany

The one thing that comes across in all your trip reports is how much of France most visitors are overlooking. They know all about the places where their friends or the guidebooks have been, and they never realize what they are missing down a quiet country road. Your photos and reports show people the rewards of getting off the beaten path.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
10,977 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - Exploring Dinan and its environs in Brittany

Agreed Cloverdale. One of the things I was really trying to highlight in this report is the importance of using tourist office websites. Sometimes even the tiniest places have them and they are so full of info about what to see and do that you won't find in guidebooks. Often times there is also an English version to these websites but if not there's always google translate to help with that. Even if the translations are awkwards sometimes you can still get the gist of it.

I know I'm a broken record on the topic but the Michelin maps and tourist office websites are amazing tools for planning a vacation, especially if you want to get off the beaten path.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - Exploring Dinan and its environs in Brittany

The French_Mystique technique really does work. It is such a pity that so many tourists stick to the standard 'tick list'.

I found that the smaller towns not on the usual tourist trail were really good at sending me loads of detailed and high quality information when I was planning our trip.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
10,977 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report - Exploring Dinan and its environs in Brittany

True enough EESW.