We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which way to Drive from CDG to Paris

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
87 posts
178 reviews
Save Topic
Which way to Drive from CDG to Paris

Any suggestions on how to drive to Dinan-Mappy takes me to the North while google maps takes me past Chatres-which way is better-site seeing is not relevant for this drive.

Thank you,

Essex
Level Contributor
26,995 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which way to Drive from CDG to Paris

Sorry, I don't think I quite understand!!

Do you want to drive from CDG into Paris (bad idea), or direct to Dinan, no reason why you should go anywhere near Chartres - but your thread title and header post seem to be in a bit of a conflict with each other!!

Anyway, not sure that I would recommend coming of a long flight (hmmn, from LA and the West coast, a VERY long flight) and then driving on unfamiliar roads in an unfamiliar car (you need to stipulate if you want automatic, otherwise you will get a stick shift car, too...). The forum consensus is that this is a very bad idea. Suggest you 'crash' at an airport hotel, even if it is for a few hours, to get some rest, and get your bearings!

Whatever, this is probably the best mapping and route planning site for France, 'ever'!

http://www.viamichelin.com/

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
20,969 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which way to Drive from CDG to Paris

I´m with Essex, not quite sure what you are asking.

Certainly you are not attempting a 5 hour drive to Dinan from CDG after an all night transatlantic flight. I would spend the first night in Paris, pickup a rental the following day or day after in town, saving the location surcharge, and leave Paris via A13.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,168 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which way to Drive from CDG to Paris

and you should be using www.viamichelin.com -- based in France, and more reliable than either mappy or google maps.

I've caught Mappy and Google in some pretty bizarre routings while viamichelin really does give the best route.

I cannot imagine what route to Dinan could possibly take you past Chartres.

And I echo Sarastro's comments to please not drive when you're jetlagged and exhausted. You are every bit as impaired as if you'd been drinking.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
87 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which way to Drive from CDG to Paris

Oops I meant to say Dinan not Paris.

Thank you,

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,450 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which way to Drive from CDG to Paris

Then absolutely don't make this drive on arrival -- you may not care about the people in your car but pity the rest of us on the road whose lives you would endanger. If you pick up the car on arrival then plan to spend the first night near the airport -- maybe Senlis -- or something on your road to Dinan -- Senlis and Chantilly would be good stops for jet lag day

Essex
Level Contributor
26,995 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which way to Drive from CDG to Paris

Well, yes, excpet Senlis and Chantilly are kind-of in the wrong direction....

I suppose they are not that far from CDG though and to be sure both are very interesting.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,168 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which way to Drive from CDG to Paris

30-40 minutes, maybe -- so not a big deal.

8. Re: Which way to Drive from CDG to Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 15:41