We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is a good basefor visiting MSM and Dinan

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
31 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Where is a good basefor visiting MSM and Dinan

We will be making a trip to Mont St Michel at the end of November. We wanted to take the train in to Caen from paris ,rent a car and stay in Bayeux. However,with the weather,we are not so sure about staying there anymore. Thinking of going to stay in Avranches or Dinan or St malo and make one of these places as our base. Or is it better to stay in 3 different hotels at these 3 different areas? please advice.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,312 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is a good basefor visiting MSM and Dinan

Avranches is not nearly as nice as Saint-Malo or Dinan. Although Avranches is closer to MSM than the other two places there is more of interest to see and do in those other two places and nearby to them. You should pick one place in that area and use is as a base to explore. Here is a report I wrote about spending 5 days exploring that area so you can learn about what there is to see and do in that region: http://tinyurl.com/82azcyh

London, United...
Level Contributor
323 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is a good basefor visiting MSM and Dinan

Stay in St Malo. Get an hotel within the walls of the old town. In Summer you can actually get a boat trip up to Dinan and walk up the old Medieavil Street from the quayside or a ferry ride across the estuary to Dinard not sure about November though. MSM is close for a trip too.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,172 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is a good basefor visiting MSM and Dinan

Avranches is great for an 'overnighter' if you are touring in the area. It might make a good 'one night' stop for you en-route from Caen to Le MSM perhaps.

However as F_M has said, Dinan and St Malo have so much more to offer that I would choose one or the other of those for my main base thereafter.

Then your trip could be something like:

Go to Caen collect car, visit the D-Day landing beaches driving along the coast until

Overnight in Avranches

Next day visit Le MSM continue to St Malo/Dinan base there for the rest of your travels. That would save 'backtracking' to go to Le MSM if you are thinking of visiting (suspect you are!)

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,716 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is a good basefor visiting MSM and Dinan

For three days I would go for just one base. Out of the three I liked Dinan best but St-Malo is probably your best base for visiting MSM and Dinan as it is more central. It is a lovely place, especially the 'intramuros area' (inside the walls).

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
31 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is a good basefor visiting MSM and Dinan

Thank you for your suggestions. They have certainly help me to make a decision. I am also wondering I can take a train to Dinan and rent a car there instead of at Caen. Does anyone know how long the ride is ? Thanks again !

6. Re: Where is a good basefor visiting MSM and Dinan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 July 2013, 06:15