We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brittany with young children

Washington DC...
6 posts
Save Topic
Brittany with young children

I would love to hear thoughts on the best destinations in Brittany for a family with young children.

I'd love to find a balance between the things we love -- excellent food, beautiful scenery-- and kid appeal too -- beaches or outdoor activities, etc (I will have a 1 yo and 4 yo).

It will likely be a spring trip - is June a good time of year?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
5,019 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brittany with young children

Brittany is lovely with young kids - my niece and nephew loved it when we went when they were younger. June is not likely to be that warm (the sea probably won't be warm enough for swimming in, I mean) but warming up towards the end, if you're lucky. Try Paimpol as a place to stay.

Finland
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brittany with young children

Warning: the weather can be a bit tricky in June and the sea water is too cool for the kids to fully enjoy. On the other hand you will have more space and lower accommodation costs in June than in July-August.

Many coastal towns/villages from Paimpol (mentioned above) to the west, including the fantastic Perros-Guirec are nice. But also many coastal towns/villages west from Cancale until Paimpol are absolutely fabulous. Moving about by car is easy and you will find a number of restaurants in the villages. The food is often quite simple, with a good deal of seafood alternatives, crepes&galettes etc. There are some a bit more upscale restaurants, even Michelin star places, here & there.

Just do some homework and consider where you can find a vacation rental or other accommodation meeting your requirements. A hint: you could find a house with heated outdoor/indoor swimming pool at a reasonable rent in June.

If you are very children-oriented, there are also some farms with gites, some also with swimming pools, playgrounds, animals etc. Just do some research in the Internet.

Restaurants can be spotted in several websites such as tripadvisor, michelin, resto.fr etc. etc.

The alternative could be Morbihan area on the south coast. very beautiful and calm in June.

Mentioned in this post
Morbihan
Morbihan
Brittany, France
Paris, France
Level Contributor
13,084 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brittany with young children

Carnac, in the Gulf of Morbihan, is very kid oriented so there's lots for them to do and there's a beautiful sandy beach as well. I wrote a report about spending a week exploring that area based in Carnac and it has lots of photos and descriptions of the places I visited if you want to have a look: http://tinyurl.com/2555vaf

Mentioned in this post
Morbihan
Morbihan
Brittany, France
4. Re: Brittany with young children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2014, 04:16