We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning about Brittany Ferries ticket scam

Reading, UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Warning about Brittany Ferries ticket scam

We have just returned from a trip to France where we started from St Malo and drove across France. The cheapest one way to St Malo I could find was £190 but I found a promotional deal where a return ticket was £120 so we took that up and didn't take the return trip. On return we found a threatening letter saying we had to send them £123.50 immediately. Speaking to Brittany Ferries was hopeless, they just went on about small print. I'm going to court with them on this one as I don't think the terms are fair but I just thought others should be warned and choose who they travel with accordingly.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,886 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warning about Brittany Ferries ticket scam

You should have read the T&C. If you book a return trip but go only one way, the ferry company can charge you the full fare for a one-way journey.

If you dispute the charge in court, you will lose.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,934 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Warning about Brittany Ferries ticket scam

This is NOT a scam. This is just customer stupidity.

In order to buy your ticket you will have had to tick a box saying "I have read the terms and conditions". If you tick this box without reading the terms and conditions then you are at fault.

You genuinely don't have a leg to stand on, legally.

Brittany Ferries are an excellent company. I've used them on a number of occasions in the past and am happy to use them in the future.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,714 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Warning about Brittany Ferries ticket scam

Shame there isn't an 'erroneous info' report button :-/

Essex
Level Contributor
27,151 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Warning about Brittany Ferries ticket scam

Or a "whinge forum"

;-)

Has been asked for today on HUMTAB!

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Warning about Brittany Ferries ticket scam

Not using part of the ticket makes sense to customers who are looking for a bargain, but unfortunately the company is selling the round trip as a complete package with no changes or skipping bits allowed which is why it is cheap.

There can sometimes be a bit of leeway to the charges -eg if you had some sort of disaster which prevented you taking the booked return leg , but if you were just looking for a cheaper crossing then you are out of luck because you agreed to the terms when you booked.

Reading, UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Warning about Brittany Ferries ticket scam

I took this up with Consumer Advice who are referring this to Trading Standards as they believe these terms are unfair. The terms are a little vague but they advised that not knowing or understanding the small print is not an excuse and that I may be in breach of contract by not paying Brittany Ferries. However, I believe Brittany Ferries are also in breach of contract by invoicing me for a higher price (by about £50) than the corresponding fare, which is what the contract states, so I am still going to see them in court.

They have been particularly difficult in dealing with me, whilst also posting a patronising response which is completely at odds with the stance they have taken against me. Brittany Ferries are a terrible company and there is no way I would ever deal with them again.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,934 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Warning about Brittany Ferries ticket scam

Well Brittany Ferries are a company I've used on a number of occasions - as have other members of my family and we are ALL quite happy to use them again when ever we can.

But then we read the small print and play by the rules......

Caveat Emptor - let the buyer beware.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Warning about Brittany Ferries ticket scam

Brittany used to be good. We have been travelling with them since we bought our house in France 2001 several (times a year). In the past year the quality of service, the attitude of staff, the food (which is frankly awful) have all deteriorated. This seemed to get worse around the time of the strikes last year and has not improved.

It seems their prices are high and of course there is no competition on the Portsmouth to Caen route. LD lines (who now seem to be owned by DFDS) Portsmouth to Le Havre are a better option for summer 2013 crossings.

Edited: 14 April 2013, 15:14
Petersfield, UK
Level Contributor
70 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Warning about Brittany Ferries ticket scam

So how did you get on in court?

I'm amazed at your viewpoint and the fact that you refer to this as a "scam" - you broke the terms and conditions, which are clearly shown on the website and not just in hidden small print either...

BF are a great company and well within their rights to demand payment. If you did go to court, and lost, then I hope you were ordered to pay BF's legal costs too..

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,780 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Warning about Brittany Ferries ticket scam

yes it is legal to do this but there is no valid business reason for it except they do it because they can. there is no reason to charge more for one way fares except 'we have you where we want you, you need us, so we plan to screw you'

it is one of the many reasons that budget airlines have prospered in Europe and the US because they don't impose this bogus one way penalty