We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Malo or Mont St Michel

Nantes, France
Level Contributor
2 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
St Malo or Mont St Michel

Hello,

I only have one day to travel and I need to choose between St Malo and Mont St Michel. Which one would you recommend? Thank you.

Guernsey
Level Contributor
53 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Malo or Mont St Michel

Mon St Michel - Awesome site and a must see, but hugely busy & expensive. 3rd most visited site in France. Expect coach upon coach of tourists, get iconic photographs

St Malo - Very pretty Intra Muros (inside the walls) old town, nice shops, white beaches within 4 min walk, ferry to Dinard pretty Victorian Villas and seaside town, bustling and fun place to go.

Nantes, France
Level Contributor
2 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Malo or Mont St Michel

Thank you for your reply. It's very helpful. Probably will visit both of them at different times..

Montreal
Level Contributor
2,543 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Malo or Mont St Michel

You have a lot more to see and do in lovely St Malo.

Mont St Michel is a couple of hours as it is quite a small area.

Both are worth seeing.

JennySki
Level Contributor
25 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Malo or Mont St Michel

As an iconic site Mont St Michel but for an enjoyable day out St Malo - lots of lovely restaurants. cafes shops or walk around the ramparts - a good 2 mile walk or so I think. Interesting to find it had major reconstruction after second world war - you would not know !

And if the little sandwich shop on the way in still does Sandwiches Americains - baguettes - then definitely try those ! There is also interesting history in St Malo re: pirates or corsaires and some cannons to see on the ramparts - and a nice beach.

So it would keep you busy for a day I would say !

Mont St Michel does get busy in high season - so go early !

Edited: 22 May 2013, 17:11
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,811 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Malo or Mont St Michel

Absolutely St-Malo, MSM was a real disappointment to me, all tourists and would hate to stay there whereas St-Malo is a lovely seaside town.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,117 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Malo or Mont St Michel

Mont St M is a bit of a tourist trap these days. I'd pick St Malo

7. Re: St Malo or Mont St Michel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2014, 06:18